just how much better would my bike be?

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Hi all, I have a few questions about boring and porting. I have an '01 YZ250, that is in pristine condition. I am an average rider who and do nearly all my riding at the track. I am an old guy, who doesn't keep the bike on the pipe all the time. I think bottom end is a good thing! I have been considering sending it to Eric for some customizing. I am thinking along the lines of turning it into a 310 ( or whatever it is you turn a YZ250 into) and porting it for my riding style. The reason I am asking is because I am thinking about a new bike, but wonder if setting up my '01 model wouldn't be better for me. (remember, I bought the bike new and have really babied it so it is still virtually like new. If I keep it I will also have the suspension done to suit my style) I posted something like this in the "suspension" forum, and the "what bike to buy" forum as well, but here I am interested in the motor mods, and how they would compare to a new bike. If I were to have the mods done, how hard is it to find pistons and rings, and what type would Eric use anyhow? Probably stupid questions, but I am just dumb that way.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
If you are looking for a smoother powerband you would be amazed at what eric could do for you. I had him do my KX two years ago and normally trade every two years but can't bring myself to part with it. My KX has the most linear powerband you will ever find on a 2-stroke, makes good strong power right off the bottom and builds steady all the way to the top. I usually ride it a gear high and let the motor work in the lower range.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I will second that even before I send it off! I have heard just too much good work from Eric. He gets my engine this Winter. I want just about everything! I want the top end done the "Eric Gorr" way plus clutch an the lower end looked at. If more is needed he will get it($). After reading his posts this is one guy that knows what he is talking about! Hopefully he will get my old Zinger running right! I will be sure to mention that I have a Platnum(sp) pipe and a DG silencer on the way. I guess I will send the carb with it as soon as I get the pipe so I can have it jetted correctly and ask for the book in return.....I guess that will be another cost, but what I have read on this guy, he works magic!!!!!!

Phillip

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I like your post. Honestly, I am about where your at as far as riding goes.

Here is my question...If folks like us are using 65% of out bikes ability, is a bike that is better by 5% going to make a difference? I cannot see how it would.

I know I would be better (faster) by cutting back at work, being in top shape, and riding more. The 03 YX 450F is probably not my key to success.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
you would be suprised how such a small difference makes! As for being on the pipe, with the porting it feels "in the power" all the time, but it never signed off earlier like i thought it would. As for the pistons, the best part of the deal is that Eric rounds and hones the bore for you and then measures it and supplies the exact piston you need. for example, i measured my old piston, but the new one supplied was 0.1mm bigger (stock bore). So you should never have a problem there, since you can get all the stuff from him inc gaskets (you will need to get a small end bearing from the local dealer though). In addition, if you go for just porting, the next season you get discount on the big bore also!

But the only thing eric cannot do is turn the bike into a CRF! Its up to you, i hopefully will never part with my 01, but it may have to share the garage with an 04 or 05 CRF! But until then i will keep wrestling with the YZ, its too much fun!

good luck

bruce

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
Quote:
"Here is my question...If folks like us are using 65% of out bikes ability, is a bike that is better by 5% going to make a difference? I cannot see how it would. "
It depends where the 5% is. Strangely enough, even at 190 lbs, I could always get better drive out of a berm on my old '89 KX 125 than I could when I "up-graded " to a YZ 250. For my style of riding, the set up on the 125 pulled better low end than that mid-range hit of the 250.
As for Tri-mx'er, check out bclapham's long version report on his up-grade on the Mods & Performance thread.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
When you big bore a newer YZ 250 it can either become a tractor or a missile. Just tell GORR what you want . I have done them beforeand can tell you that they are very good. Pistons & stuff are readily available ,and in thiscountry you xcan get whatever you want within a few days. If you put on a heavier flywheel it becomes more tractible also,and may start and chug easier if you ride slow in the woods . I used to have a Ohlins YZ360 kit bike that was real strong but the thing was a little hard to start. This had something top do with the motor having a much bigger bore than stroke Iguess it was oversquare. When I put a steahly flywheel on it it started better and behaved much better. That thing was a rocket . Yours can be too.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I sent a rather timid 1995 CR125 cylinder to eric in the hopes of building myself the ultimate woods weapon (light and quick). I had the 144 kit installed and spent a ton of cash refurbishing the motor (crank, mains, all seals, some transmission and clutch components) when I test rode the finished product I thought it was quite a change. Power was better down low and it screamed through the mid and top, the ultimate woods weapon? Not quite, all my efforts to turn the bike into what I wanted fell short, sure it was light but the power was still wrong (had the mo' better everywhere porting). The bike would have been perfect for moto but I don't ride moto. My point, though long winded, is I sank a ton of cash into a bike with good expectations but still couldn't make it what I wanted and would have been better off looking for something closer to what I wanted and then working with that. Eric's work was top notch and of excellent quality, and the bike ripped, but if I had it to do all over again I would have started with a better base bike to build up on. Make sure you can make your bike into what you want before you go and start spending. Good luck with your decision.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom