Just learning

purp

Feb 22, 2005
It's probably a stupid question, but you never learn if you don't ask. I've always had the guys do maintenance on my bike but I'd like to surprise them and do some stuff on my own. I have a new KDX 220. I've read that I should remove the airbox lid. Why? and where is it to remove. I should grease it up real good too. What else before I take it out? What kind of oil do you use synthetic or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Remove the seat...two bolts on the rear and slide her off. Its under the seat and is black. Remove the lid. Clean the airfilter. Buy an airfilter cleaning pack....very handy!! Reoil using airfilter oil.

The Gearbox oil is drained by a bolt at the bottem of the engine....warm up engine for 2-3 mins before to make it easier on yourself. Use 10 watt 40 oil in the gearbox. I would get EriccGorrs book and a manual to make this easier on yourself....and surprise the lads!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
:aj: :nener: ;) :p :rotfl: Well atleast that looks better. Cheers best of luck with your new ride!!

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
purp said:
I've read that I should remove the airbox lid. Why? ... I should grease it up real good too. What else before I take it out? What kind of oil do you use synthetic or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The reason the airbox lid is removed is to allow better air flow into the engine. The KDX motor is pretty well corked up with a restrictive air intake, and a restrictive exhaust/silencer. An internal combustion engine is essentially an air pump...air has to get in, and get out to make horsepower. Remove lid, allows more air in, and all the aftermarket pipes and silencers address getting it out. If you are new to the bike and or new to riding, I would say leave it in for a while until you get a feel for the bike with it in first.

synthetic vs dino based oil...boy there is a topic that wont end! I use both...depending on what I can buy most readily at the moment. Lower end (gearbox) generally non sythetic, the two stroke oil I use is synthetic. I would say just be sure to get a good name brand oil, specifically made for motorcycles, and dont worry if synthetic or not (now watch out...there will be a million posts about this hot topic...ignore all of us! :blah: )

Greasing - if you are refering to the air filter...actually it is oiling the filter with filter oil, as blanc mentioned. Some people do grease the part of the filter that seals against the air box as added protection against dust coming in . (i do on my KTM for really dusty conditions)

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
To add, the airbox in stock form causes the venturi to see unnessary vacuum at high rpm, making the mixture go rich as rpms increase at large throttle openings. If you fix the jetting to be right in this condition at high rpms, then it will be too lean at low rpms, inducing a bog and flat spot. You don't want your A/F ratio changing drastically with rpm. Fixing the airbox is the first step to make the engine run correctly.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Even though what he saids hard to understand......Trust us, it runs better without it, as now it can get more air into the fuel. Its there to please the Government and their laws!!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…