just picked up the bike, a few ?'s

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
alright, finally i went and got my 95 kdx 200. I can't wait to get it out to the trails as soon as i have time(probably this weekend). First though i am wondering about the knocking noise coming from the Kips. I have been browsing this forum for probably about a month and have seen that this is somewhat of a common problem. What should i do to correct this though? The guy said he never decarbonized or cleaned or anything, said he didn't know he was supposed to. What should i do.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Not knowing how many hrs. on top end, I would pull the jug, and take a look at things. At the least clean kips, check spec. on piston and install new rings. Good luck with it.

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
is this typical of the KIPS to make this knocking noise though? It is only at idle, or at least only noticeable at idle. The bike still runs fine and rides great both low and high rpms. Should i worry about this before i take it out at all?

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
The KIPS does rattle quite noticably at idle. It, however, does not knock. Are you sure it's not just a friendly KIPS rattle and not a piston slap or a rod knock??
The KIPS rattle is not noticable (to me) at all beyond idle.

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
I dunno, it's probably more of a rattle than a knock, kinda hard to distinguish. It's definetely coming from the KIPS though, used a stethascope thing and it's coming from the KIPS. It is not noticeable beyond idle

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Compare the sound to other KDXs if you can. The first KDX I looked at when I was in the market to buy one was a really clean 2001. When the guy started it, it made this rattling noise that really concerned me. He kept telling me that it was normal for the KDX but I was spooked. It turns out he was right. Every KDX that I have ever been around makes a rattling sound at idle.
If the bike is running strong and has no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably just 'normal' KIPS noise.

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004

My new '04 220 rattles at idle. I was worried, but hearing it from you guys, I feel better about it.

gvilleant

Mar 12, 2004
some where in this forum there is an artical about this where some one cleaned the carbon of the "Flapper valve" & got rid of the noise. I wish I could tell u where it is but search back threads you'll find it. I'll let you know how I make out when I clean mine. Might be awhile since I just got 6" of fresh snow on the ground.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I dunno, I think I would be scared if it DIDN'T rattle! :eek:
Some say the clutch makes noise, too & a little extra oil in the case cures it.

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
another thing, how much oil is supposed to be in the case, i'm gonna pick up the manual for it when i get the chance, but i don't know how much to have in there for the mean time. Right now when it's sitting on level ground on the kickstand, the oil level is in the middle of the window thing.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I think it's supposed to be 750cc's. I put in about 850cc's & some use a whole quart. Just fill to the top of the window.

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
the top of the window with the bike standing up right, or while it's on the kickstand though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…