Just put the .40kg Fredette springs in

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I used the stock spacers that I cut down and deburred.

I haven't ridden it yet because of pouring rain, but when I sat on it I noticed that only the tips of my toes touch the ground. This is because it isn't sagging as much now under my weight.

I will take it for a ride and check sag.

I'll post the results.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
CC,
Let me hold a pillow over my ass before you spank me.

I didn't check the preload.

One of the new springs was 1/8" longer than the stock one, so I took 1/8" off of that spacer.

The other spring was 3/8" longer than the stock one so I cut 3/8" off of that spacer.

I didn't change the fork oil because I wanted to see what change just the springs made. I did add about 5cc to each fork because they were a little low.

The springs seemed a little stiff to me. When I sit on the bike , the fork springs don't sag. The rear shock just goes down. I hit a few small logs and it seemed a little harsh. I haven't messed with the clickers yet.

Just before I was ready to test ride it, my PC pipe came, so I put it on.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'll just beat you over the head...instead! ;)

The reason they seem stiff is likely cuz you didn't set the preload!!

...and why are they 1/4" different in length?

I'd be sending them back before I was putting them in...........

beat.....whack.......boffo!!

uh....cheers?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Ouch, I definitely deserved that!

I was going to set the preload correctly when I change the fork oil this week.

I had to get the bike out of the garage fast. That's why I didn't do it right.

Question:
Is it unusual for the springs to be slightly different lengths? I thought I read in a post that it is common, and that you just cut the spacers to make up for it.

I did notice that the stock springs were exactly the same at 18 1/2" or 470mm.

Why would you send them back? (I know you don't like 470mm springs)

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
JasonWho, Read my 2nd to last post. What I ended up with was the stock preload.

If the new spring was 1/8" longer than the stock spring and I cut the 1/8" off of that spacer, then the preload would be the same right?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The computer ate my post!!

Dammit jim!!

Here's a much shortened version:

I'd send 'em back because I'd expect a 'set' of springs to be selected out of the parts bin to be at least close to the same length. If you can pick two that are NOT the same length, you can just as easily pick two that ARE the same.

The big deal is that they not CHANGE. Check 'em after a few rides. If the measurement changes (there might be some 'settle'), they're no good.

OEM preload is over 30mm. That's bogus (sez me). FRP seems to like lesser rated springs with more preload. That's fine. I've tried that and don't like it. A higher rated spring with less preload is superior. My imo and all that, but .40 springs and 30mm preload will give you a harsh response.

Oh.....that's what you've got!! Isn't that amazing!!??

In any case, do indeed set preload separately (measure spacer independent of the other) for each spring.

Re: sag (thus preload)

From a racetech article on their website :
It's important to stress that there is no magic number. If you like the feel of the bike with less or more sag than these guidelines, great. Your personal sag and front-to-rear sag bias will depend on chassis geometry, track or road conditions, tire selection and rider weight and riding preference.

Thus, set your suspension accordingly. The rear: 90-100mm. The front: 35-50mm.

You'll likely find things much better with a 'reasonable' (sez me) preload of 10mm or so.

Have a good time!!

Last edited:

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks CC,

I'll try the 10mm and see how it is.

I'll ride it a while first and then check length again.

I think I'll also set the clickers at 15 out because it is at 12 now, and mess with oil level a little too.

Thanks for the sag info too!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
CC said (out of context) "OEM preload is over 30mm. That's bogus (sez me). FRP seems to like lesser rated springs with more preload. That's fine. I've tried that and don't like it. A higher rated spring with less preload is superior. My imo and all that, but .40 springs and 30mm preload will give you a harsh response."

"Thus, set your suspension accordingly. The rear: 90-100mm. The front: 35-50mm.

You'll likely find things much better with a 'reasonable' (sez me) preload of 10mm or so. "

So are you saying 10 or 35-50 mm of preload and is this static or race preload? I have the same .4kg spring and 30mm (stock spacer) preload setup, but I'm not too unhappy with it. I would be interested in the tinker factor though.

Kevin

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
kmckune, The35-50mm that CC is referring to is the fork sag.

10mm should be the preload.

Also, where do you run your fork clickers at?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks, I guess its all preload and if you need stiffer springs cause your running too much preload to me. :confused:

My forks are on 8 clicks out.

Kevin

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The 10mm figure for preload is a starting point, a WAG actually. You want enough preload to have the springs..well...loaded, and to KEEP them loaded if the springs change in length over time. That's much more likely with coldwound than hotwound springs.

Excessive preload may be used to band-aid the fact that you have the wrong springs (wrong rate), but filling a fork with a steel or any other spacer when its JOB is to suspend the bike is just plain backwards (imo). Not any different than having zero free sag on the shock just cuz you've backed the rings off too far to put your 230# fanny on a 5.0 shock spring.

The honda springs (.40) I use are currently set to 3mm preload. This setup gives a very nice/plush ride over little stuff..I just don't feel it.

BTW..DO experiment with your clickers. You'll be amazed at what a couple of clicks will do. Well....I was anyway.

Happy trails!

Last edited:

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
I installed the Freddet 38 springs in my 99 kdx 200 and they were too harsh at first, I mean I hated them and I weigh 207#. After scratching my head I cut down the piece of white pvc that's supplied with the springs 1/4 " shorter than the stock steel spacers. The white pvc is used to make spacers so you don't have to guess and ruin your stock spacers. This gave me about an inch of sag and softend up the new springs some. Now I'm happy with the new springs, soft early in the stroke and harder farther down in the stroke. Don't forget to compress your forks and bleed the air out of the fork tubes with the little screws at the top of your forks. This is a must so they are not too stiff early in the stroke and then after all of this is done you can experiment with the clickers, good luck.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I just put FRP .40's on my bike with about 10mm of preload, but of course I can't ride until I get a friggin' CLUTCH CABLE! :debil:

But anyway the new springs were a half inch shorter than the stockers, but at least the new ones were both the same length. I just put it all back together and got to sit on it in my shop and oh man, it feels like a different bike. I can't wait to ride it and try them out...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom