juiced_katoom

Sep 25, 2006
hey guys, i have an 02ktm 300. I was just wondering, when it comes to the pilot jet on a 2 stroke carb, how can you really fine tune that jet, and know where it needs to be. ive had a certain size in it since i put the jd jetting kit in, and i did some experimenting yesterday (i heard that if u run the pilot jet as lean as u can go without problems, then stay lean it will be crisper) so i went one size down on the pilot, and it seems to rev quicker under acceleration, say from 2nd gear low rpm;s then full throttle, it seems like it has a little more off the bottom, but also at very low rpm's im noticeing a very slight bog, could this be fixed with the air screw, or is this a question that only i canfigure out? thanks guys

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
The pilot jet only affects the closed throttle and cracked throttle position. It does not have much or any affect on the power produced at any throttle position more about 1/8 open (just cracked open). I find that a too lean pilot jet will result in somewhat high revs upon sudden throttle closing and will produce a distinct lean running sound in the area of control it has. Generally a too lean pilot jet will result in very little misfire that is so typical of a 2 stroke at low rpm.

Chris

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
First, I have never owned a KTM, but I have messed with two strokes for many years. To agree with you, most folks have too rich a pilot jet. In my experience, if you get too lean on pilot, it will rev up rather than idle correctly. Your experience in leaning the pilot jet is the same as mine has been, ie more crisp accleration from closed throttle. It has also been my experience that you can adjust out the slight bog you mention with the air screw, again if your pilot jetting is close. Warning, you pilot jet is more sensitive to temperature than you might think. I had mine correct for summer temps and had to increase size for winter, and we are not usually very cold around here. Cheers John

juiced_katoom

Sep 25, 2006
thanks guys....i did mess with the air screw, and the bogs gone now. it runs more crisp, so Im gona leave it like that until somethin happens. thanks once again

Top Bottom