K&N install in PW80 Help!

cawgijoe

Dec 22, 2008
I bought my son a used Yamaha 1999 PW80 and have been cleaning it up. I got a K&N replacement air filter and can't figure out how it installs.....the directions say to "not use the oem frame", but it looked to me like the airbox cover and frame are all one piece?.....maybe not.....anyway, for those who have done this, I'd appreciate some help...maybe pics.

I feel dumb! :(

cawgijoe

Dec 22, 2008
I may have answered my own question.....but please chime in!

Looking at a parts list/description on-line, it looks like the "guide", or filter holder comes off the tubes on the airbox cover. You would then remove this holder. I'll have to check it out.

riccardo

Dec 16, 2008
air box

the air box shouldn't be attached to the frame on the pw80 there are some bolt at the top of the box underneath the fuel tank they are pretty tricky to get to good luck.

cawgijoe

Dec 22, 2008
The airbox needs to remain....I believe what needs to not be used is "part 15"....if you look at a parts list on-line. This is called the "guide". Unfortunately, the parts list doesn't show the entire picture because the front cover has (for a better word), three inch tubes attached to it.

The bike is a Christmas gift and at a friend's house so I won't be able to re-look at it till tomorrow at the earliest...or maybe after Christmas. I'll try to find better pics.

Can't find any pics of the interior of the airbox.......has anyone here actually used the K&N replacement air filter?

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…