Kawasaki 2 stroke - How can you tell the model

fkassim

Jul 7, 2005
How can you tell the difference between a KDX 200 and a KDX 220. And how can you tell the year. Just bought a bike and cant tell what cc or year. Can someone help !!!!!

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
i'm not too kdx savy, but if you look on the cylinder somewhere you should be able to see some numbers that will be close to 200cc or 220cc.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yes, its cast into the cylinder. 1996+ KDX's were all the same other than color. A dealer can tell the year from the VIN number (located on the steering head).

good luck

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Go to this website:

www.buykawasaki.com

Look on the top tool bar for "Owner Info" and then choose "Parts Diagrams". From there use the VIN search engine.

actarus

May 31, 2005
I've tried that technique with the number I have on my steering head but the web site could'nt find the bike. Could it be that my bike is too old ?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
actarus said:
Could it be that my bike is too old ?

I know it goes back as far as 1989 becasue I have a KDX 200 frame from that year and the search engine can find it.

fkassim

Jul 7, 2005
Thanks for the great feedback guys. I'll try and post a picture to see if that helps any. I saw DX220 marked on the exhaust pipe but not sure if that means anything. I checked out the BUYKAWASAKI site and it said that the engine number should be marked on the lefthand side near the crank case below....so i'll check that out too...

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Can you post the vin first 11 digits in the vin? I can tell you what year it is. :nod: :cool: also sometimes the model is stamped on the front of the reed valve boot. should say dx200 or dx220? also stamped under the gear shifter on the engine. :nod:

Last edited:

fkassim

Jul 7, 2005
Bike reads DX200 on crankshaft near the shift lever. One side of the neck has a japanese sticker on it that I cant make out at all except for II DX200 and the side were the VIN is marked is completely non readable. Would a KMX have a DX markings on the engine or on the chasis....I'm not sure. The bike has a speedo, light switch, horn and on/off button with the key fitting right under the riders left hand leg ???? Looked at different pictures and looks like a '94 because of how the tank and radiator covers are fitted on...still unsure !!!!

fkassim

Jul 7, 2005
Sorry to keep hounding you guys but all the help is appreciated...checked the crankcase again today the number is KHI DX200 and below it it read GE 004531. The neck of the bike read DX200G and below that II 157. The rear swing arm has UNITRAK on it and the frame is tubular. Thanks again.

towlie

Jun 5, 2005
I saw DX220 marked on the exhaust pipe but not sure if that means anything

When the mfg. scribes this on a pipe , keep in mind they are Japanese and their customs are quite different than other parts of the world, it generally means dont buy me unless you know what year and size I am.

fkassim

Jul 7, 2005
Too late already bought ! I agree with Lepper must be a '94 DX200SR grey market Japanese bike. Would parts of a regular '94 DX200 fit on it e.g rt. side crank cover, carb., pistons ...etc.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom