ecrum28

Sep 30, 2009
I picked up a complete ( motor in a box) 82 parts bike to keep my 80 up and running. Are the 82 forks with the air caps much better performing than the 80's with no air? Both the ones on my bike and the 82's are weeping some oil so I just wanted opinions on which set to rebuild and use. Thanks
Erich

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Air caps were an idea that came and went very quickly. I'd think you could just rule that feature out of your decision-making process.

ecrum28

Sep 30, 2009
ok thanks for the input. I found my deciding factor last night. The box o parts that came with the bike had new oem fork seals for the 82 forks so I'll rebuild them. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing if changing air pressures has much effect on the suspension.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
When the forks were made, adding air pressure was one of the "back then" tuning adjustments. KDX forks since 1989 have switched to just letting built up air pressure out of the forks. Get the front wheel off the ground and bleed the air. Go ride, then bleed the air again after riding. "Nowadays" it is just a "bleed the air befoe and after riding" method.

Cannon Racecraft might make custom fork springs for your bike. If you don't want to get "current thinking" stiffness fork springs, then go with a higher oil level (within the manual recommendations) or try modifying the damper rod valving or get Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators.

Good lcuk with it.

Top Bottom