zzmongo

Mar 8, 2002
After sending off my cylinder and getting the incorrect one back, I finally got my repaired cylinder, new piston, ring set, wrist pin, etc. Time to get the bike back together and all was going well until I inspected the repaired cylinder before installation. There is pitting in the new nikasil! To make matters worse, there is a spot of weld at the bottom of the right power valve bore prohibiting valve installation. I sent the cylinder back and will not divulge who I'm dealing with until the final outcome. Is pitting a common thing after applying new nikasil coating?? I'm used to the old school method of re-sleeving, boring out, etc. Thanks for any comments!!!

xtremekdx

Feb 21, 2004
i had my cylinder replated at U.S. chrome. they did a great job. however, the paperwork that came with it advised that some pitting in the chrome plating was normal and did not affect performance. i check all measurements and they were to spec. I would recommend them.
lots a luck.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've heard that the pitting can acually help by keeping a bit of oil on the cylinder walls and not being wiped dry. Be sure all the port edges aren't sharp. If so, touch them with a file. They can flake or chip off and cause some scoring. Mine did.

zzmongo

Mar 8, 2002
I'm concerned that the sharp edges will prematurely wear the rings, or worse hang and break a ring. Correct cross-hatch will contribute to proper lubrication as well as "break-in" of the rings. I just sent my cylinder back yesterday so the verdict is still out. Thanks for the comments.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
I see this alot with some of the small cylinders I deal with at work,chainsaws etc;most of the pits seem to be caused by air bubbles trapped in the material when they cast the parts.Sometimes there can be a few of them trapped in one area, when they bore the cylinder out it leaves a small pit in the side of the cylinder.
It could have also been caused from a repair of a damaged cylinder,if it was welded and they did not fill in the damaged area properly,when they machine it it could also have small pits.

Top Bottom