KDX 200 lighting

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Was it originally equiped with a switch to turn the light on and off? Mine does not have a switch, or a front light bulb(it has a housing) or a tail light ( nothing just an empty space on the fender, next to the place wher the bag goes, which is gone too)
It seems my bike's previous owner/owners liked taking things off the bike and not putting them back on... :-)

Thanks
Wibby

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Yes, there was a switch on the bars originally. Mine's hotwired on, as I kept getting gunk in it so it wouldn't stay on when I wanted it. Someone took my bike for a testride, dumped it & broke the switch so took the opportunity to leave off the switch.
Do a search on bulbs - they're something ridiculous like $20 for a stock one & a thread has been done on replacements.
The bag I find handy for putting my camera in - saves me putting it on my back. I tried putting some coins & smokes in there on the weekend, but the coins smashed up the smokes - ah well, no matter, I had others ;)
Tail lights are commonly taken off - mine just doesn't work. The bag can be a pain for getting on & off the bike, especially when full, plus it's not exactly waterproof.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The oem switch isn't too good. Mine quit early on.

If you're wiring one in, keep in mind (H model anyway. Check <http://www.buykawasaki.com> for a wiring diagram) the yellow wire is hot from the lighting coil and is NOT regulated. Red goes to the regulator. Might want to see if THAT was taken off. It's the two wire heatsinked box behind the airbox.

In the oem configuration, the switch switches the yellow to the red/lights.

Ensure you don't leave the regulator out of the circuit.

Oh...the kdx electrix be AC, not DC.

Michelle: Really? Your's isn't exactly waterproof?

That makes it sound 'somewhat' waterproof? ;)

Mine absorbs water like a sponge!!

Last edited:

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
I've found removing the switch allows you to mount a neat bicycle horn in its place. The sockets the switch plugs in to allow you to directly plug them together, directly removing the switch from the circuit. The aftermarket headlight shrouds allow you to go to the local hardware store to buy replacement bulbs. Plus, when the headlight shroud breaks from a tree jumping in front of you, they are half the cost of the OEM shrouds, but must be soldered to the wiring harness. Good luck.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Michelle: Really? Your's isn't exactly waterproof?

That makes it sound 'somewhat' waterproof? ;)

Mine absorbs water like a sponge!!
I don't go through water often, but always try to remember to take the camera out before I wash the bike. Definitely not waterproof, sorry for my slack terminology. The other thing is I have to check the zip frequently to make sure it still closes/opens, but CRC fixes that.
There are other products on the market that can take the place of the stocker, but until my craps out totally, it'll stay.

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
Due to a few run ins with trees, I replaced the headlight shroud with a number plate. It seems to be less vunerable than the shrouds, although a bit tricky to mount. Didn't use the light much anyway. Also replaced the back fender with a motocross fender so I lost the bag. The bag was nice for tool storage, especially during races, except everthing rattled over bumps and jumps. Plus it was constantly wet. Not sure what this has to do with the lighting switch, but wanted to add my two cents.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…