KDX 200 or 220? Engine characters...

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
so reep
would you say you got your $500 worth of performance with the 225?

rollo
have you tried to drop the neddle on your new set up? and which cylinder did you have sleeved a 200 or a 220?

Rollo

Mar 10, 2005
Sleeved my spare 200 Barrel. Have not touch the carb as of yet but will tinker with it during this week. If I can get it to run well I will look into boring the other 200 barrel to a 220 and chrome it and the spare stuffed 220 barrel I have I will look at taking it to a 240.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
rollo
so you have a 200 ported 220 pistoned seems like the jetting should be real close to what everone else come up with..its summer now in ussie if you were to get a 42 and 45 pilot and 152,155,and 158 main you ought to be able to tune her in.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Well, the $500 included reboring, replating, the right weisco piston, the rings, the small end crank bearing, the wrist pin, the circlips, shipping both ways, removal and cleaning of the KIPS assembly, a new top end gasket kit, and porting. All expertly done, and with a single "just call here and be done with it".

That compares to (I am guessing) at least $350 for any other solution that involves nickisil, and at least $300 for a sleeve (heck, the weisco itself is $100).

So, is the nickisil the miracle stuff it is claimed to be? It seems to do a fine job with the two 40HP 450cc pushrod aircooled cylinders glued together on my Buell for it's motor... which includes that poor second cylinder that does nothing but eat heat from the first one. I'm at 30,000 miles on that with no problems at all, so it's doing something right.

If so, I'll be able to skip every other ring job, and maybe double the life of a piston, and maybe get another 50% or 100% over another rebore or resleeve. If that is the case, then it wasn't only worth it, it was cheaper.

If it just lasts as long as a sleeve did, its still not a terrible deal, so regardless, yes, I am happy with it.

And to be fair, I think I have some unrelated issue that I am chasing down... remember this is the "bike in a bucket" that everything was broken on. I am still having occasional misfires at high RPM's, just about the times things are getting all fun and blurry :). So when I clean that up and this thing really gets dialed in and crisp, I expect I'll be very happy.

The one point I would make though was that as a newbe just coming here and looking at information, I got the impression that the 220 was a 200 with a weak piston and ruined jetting. Now that I have one of each in the garage (a stock 200, a resleeved 220, and my 225... not all mine, I'm tuning them for friends).

I think that characteristic is a little unfair... The weak piston part is true for sure, but I think the smaller carb is probably actually the better choice, it sure is easier to tune. And a really dialed in 200, and a really dialed in 220, and a really dialed in 225... are all fast fantastic woods bikes. Not a turkey in the bunch, and any of them would make anyone happy. And I would say (aside from the weak stock piston) the 220 really was a step forward from the 200.

Rollo

Mar 10, 2005
Resleeve , piston kit(weisco) , all ports cleaned cost me $750 AU. Good thing about a resleeve I can bore again suppose to be able to go out to a 240. Cost roughly $450 AU for a recrome then extra to have the ports cleaned so by the time you add a piston kit you would be up around the $750 make anyway .Cost the same for both versions.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well you'd think it should be a step forward, the current 200 was out for 2 years before they decided on the 220

I would like to know the real reason they came out with the 220 and too why they ran with the 220 AND the 200 for the next 9 years instead of dropping one of them.

Wouldn't the world be such a different place if they had had not came out with the 220 but........ a kdx300 that sported the latest usd forks, aluminum frame and a sport clutch (like honda trx250)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I just got the bill for the blastard $80 for bore, hone, thread fix on one stud+ new stud bead blasting of cylinder and head and head surface check. My RB costs were about the same for a bore and hone and ring gap setting it was really $60 but shipping++

Top Bottom