erdvark

Oct 23, 2009
Hi All
I 've got two problems with the gears on my Kdx 200sr '00 model.
When I go to 2nd there is this funny humming sound, but only in 2 nd gear. :think:

The other problem is when the bike is cold it is difficult to go into 3rd. Then it becomes worst!!!!! because if you eventually
got past 3rd, the 4th gear is the last one .......no 5th or 6th not even if you try to pull it by hand.
If you hit the gas in 3rd or 4th gear it goes into a "neutral" position by it self and the revs just go ......................... you know ! :bang:
Please can some one help ?
Thanks!
Jan
( please excuse my english ,it's not my 1st language)

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Those sound like fairly typical symptoms for transmission issues. The bad shifting would be bent shift forks and or worn dogs. The humming is a little different, but could be gear dog related, I'm not sure.

The good news is splitting the cases in your garage is doable (lots of things to be careful doing, but doable), and complete transmissions on ebay are affordable and common.

Try everything else first before splitting the cases... but objectively, that sounds like your problem.

On the clutch side, you can pull off the inner and outer cover without splitting the cases, and you can remove that shifter shaft and inspect that part of the assembly. Though I would think that if that was screwed up, every gear would suffer, not just 4th and up...

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Sounds like it's time to tear the gearbox down and fix all the issues.
I see no quick/easy fix for you.
Break out the tools, and clear off the workbench......

erdvark

Oct 23, 2009
tom68
not sure what oil is in the bike
Thanks guys
sounds like you are right , no easy way out !!!!

Is there somewhere a diagram of the transmission available?

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Sorry

Sorry, I had to laugh. I met a rider who had a similar problem. I asked as to what and how much oil he was running. He replied "This is a two stroke and it runs Pre-mix so it doesn't have to use oil in the crankcase"! When we checked. there was maybe a 1/2 pint in the tranny of some tar-like substance! Fortunately, we drained it, dumped in a quart of Trans oil I had in my truck and miracously, after about 30 min. the thing acted almost nomal! Relativly quite, shifted through all 6 gears. I don't know if he ever went throgh the trans or not.
Point being; start with the simple thing first. Check the oil and the level.

erdvark

Oct 23, 2009
I've got a big problem . I've opened the covers and the bearing on the clutch side is a total mess. Like we would say in 'Afrikaans" (my home language) "moer toe".
(That not a swear word)
My problem is I cannot get the magneto hub( is that what you call it ?) off.
It is stuck forever.
Please help
Once the engine is open and I can get to gears ,I'm sure there would be more problems, but I guess thats why you guys are there.... To give moral support.
Could not enough oil be the only cause of the bearing to fail?
Thanks

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
You need a special tool (that isn't really that special, I think it's just a bolt with the right thread). I got one on ebay. It'll feel stuck without the right tool, and it feels like you split the crank when it finally pops free.

(Oh, and that's not the clutch side, but you probably know that ;) )

Top Bottom