KDX 250......Freak?

ambvlnt1

Oct 9, 2005
I have a '91 kdx 250. I noticed that it was only made for 4 years. A Kawi parts guy told me that the bike was outselling the KX so it was changed to a 220. Does anybody else have a kdx 250? I've been looking around on here and can't find anything about it. ...Lot's on the 200 and 220 though......

Brad1725

Sep 24, 2005
yeah i have one 92 model but same bike. i have had trouble with finding info on mine but any general info is pretty identical to the 200s and 220s, obviously not carb settings and such. i have just aquired mine and fully rebuilt the engine, couldn't find any info on it though. what does yours go like? what plug you running? any mods?

ambvlnt1

Oct 9, 2005
Not too many mods to speak of. FMF pipe, frame/radiator gaurds, Scott's steering damper, KX 250 fender, bike computer.... The guy I got it from kept it in immaculate condition. The paint is'nt even worn on the right side of the frame. I was hoping to find some way to give it more bottom end, besides porting, because the top end is fresh. I find that if I have a tight uphill turn, I have to downshift two gears to keep it on the power. Other than that, the bike is very smooth........... :ride:

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
Thanks for the link to my site. I've tried to add to it as I've come across stuff. If guys with KDX250's want to e-mail me pics of their bikes I'll start a KDX250 "reader's rides" page. Would be cool to see some of the KDX250's come out of the woodwork. Let me know!
-chris

www.garage.whatburns.com

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005

As I recall it at the time, from what I was told by parts and sales guys at the dealers. The 250 was considered too slow and too heavy. It was not selling well, because the beginners were buying 200's and the more advanced/faster riders were opting for the KX250. I was told the 250 was dropped because of the major update done to the 200 in 1995.

It also seems to my memory (as it is) there was very little parts interchange between any of these bikes. Which also may have contributed to it being dropped.

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
Parts interchangability: Some of the parts are interchangeable... you just have to know which ones. For example, the motor shares a lot of components with the 89 KX250 motor, nothing from a KDX200 motor. However, things like reeds and carbs are the same. I think wheels match for the yeat. You can match forks from a like year kx250, but the KDX250 has it's own forks (that suck).

The body panels are another stoy altogether. The rad shrouds from other bikes will not fit. You have to go w/ a facotry replacement which I think are $50 and up. I've bought two extra sets off e-bay for cheap as extras. The side panels from KX500's will work, but I think they look lame... I've also bought extra's of those. Fenders from KX250's work great on KDX250's.

The KDX250 had a perimeter frame, but it is much heavier than the KX250.

All in all, the bike is pretty good for what I do with it. If I wanted a motorcrosser on a budget (I didn't) the KDX250 wouldn't have been my first choice. Some of the parts are a challege to find, but not impossible. I've not gone without a needed part any longer than it takes for my lazy ass to find it! I've found the bike to be plenty powerful for what I want to do.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
The thing is a tractor. It will get you about anywhere you want to go off road, it just won't feel very nimble getting there. The 220s that came after feel noticeably lighter and nimbler, but that 250 has more top end from what I can tell riding them both back to back. For sure, it will make a great spare bike to have around or sole bike if all you are doing is hitting the trails & woods.

ambvlnt1

Oct 9, 2005
Thanks for the info. I thought the bike was a lot more common when I bought it. I just wanted a green sticker, trail bike to ride during the red sticker months................

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…