92kdx250

Jul 9, 2005
Kdx 250 Set Up / Finding Parts

I just go back into riding and bought a KDX 250 '92 got a few rides in on it before blowing all the fork oil out and the same with the rear shock. It runs very well starts first kick no choke cold even. Way too rich though. My brother n law helps me with the tech stuff and he already leaned it down. He had me pick up a 38 pilot jet. Haven't tryed that yet want the thing right not a wide open rider trails mostly. 123 mostly 2 gear. There is alot of rocks and roots on our local trail it is far from smooth going. What can I do for the ride? What is the carb set up? Is their any other KDX that matches side covers seats ect. They don't make any after market stuff for this bike it is not common. Also redoing the whole thing would like to put current style decals from kawasaki but once again nobody sells them for a 1992 KDX 250. If you know of any other bike that parts like that are more readily available for let me know please.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Actually, shroud graphics from the '89 - '94 KDX200 will fit with some minor trimming.

One of the members a few months ago summarized much of the info for upgrades to the KDX onto his own website.

Bottom line is the bike will perform quite well with much leaner jetting, revalved forks, and a few other set up tricks. I really enjoyed my '91.

http://www.garage.whatburns.com/KDX.htm

Meant to post the above link in this thread, but also resurrected an old KDX thred. Lots of good stuff compiled in Chris's page.

92kdx250

Jul 9, 2005
thanks this online stuff is great dont use it much but i see it works well and quick.

I want to get a new seat cover will the kdx 200 fit?? 1992 model year

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
I got my seat cover from a similar year KX500. It fits pretty good and got rid of the questionable teal-blue and pink motif.

Also, side covers from a KX500 will fit. No other model side covers will work. Rad shrouds only for KDX250 (91 to 94) will fit - no other models. Watch e-shmay and pick them up when you can to have extras. Front fender from KX250 will work, or the aftermarket equivalent. I also just put a rear fender from a KX250 on my bike with minor modifications.

I've also re-jetted everything. Check my page for the jetting that I am running now. I just put i a new 1367 needle and Boyesen Power Reeds as well as a hotter plug, but I haven't had a chance to run it with those modifications.

Overall, I've found the bike to be great for trail riding. I don't do tracks and I like to keep it on the ground, so this bike works good for me.

http://garage.whatburns.com/KDX.htm

kdx_7_10_05.JPG

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
While you have the seat cover off, shave off some of the foam near the front of the seat. This makes it easier to get forward to put more weight on the front wheel for cornering. You can use an electric knife or a large serrated bread knife to cut the foam, then smooth out the edges with sand paper or a sanding block.

92kdx250

Jul 9, 2005
thanks again. This is a big help. Now where is the best place to find graphics, and seat covers to fit this beast. Most places I have looked do not go back any more than 5 to 8 years. My seat foam is missing in the right rear corner of the seat only about an inch or less due to the seat cover is messed up any suggestions? I was thinking spray foam then shave it down but I dont want it to be to hard and tare up a new seat cover. :bang: No I like the bike and enjoy going through it. It is stripped to the bone right now hope to have it back together by next weekend. Frame is all painted as well as all other parts going to be like new for at least one ride cant wait. I will post the finnished product if any one wants to see it.

Last edited:

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
I found my seat cover on the auction site. There are plenty of covers there and elsewhere, just make sure it's for a KX500 and you'll be fine. Don't know what to tell you about the foam. Spray foam may work, or perhaps you can graft some on from another seat if you can'f find a new seat.

As for graphics... You could try graphics from the 88(?)-to 94 KDX200, but I found that most of the graphics for that genre utilize brigh pinks and blues. I have an extra set of shrouds that I've left plain green and like that better than the stock pink graphics. I've always got my eye out for something to try. No matter what you get you'll have to cut it.

Good luck with you bike. Post pics when you get it done!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom