Kdx 50

Hyper

Dec 30, 2002
My son wants a KDX 50 we saw at the motorcycle shop, I talked to them and I can get it for 1150.00 out the door price. Is this a good bike? My son is 3 years old. He will have to start with training wheels. I am a old (37) x motorcrosser and I want my son to have a good sport to play in. I also looked at the Honda xr 50. which would be the best in the long run?

thanks

KXrider12

Sponsoring Member
Jan 2, 2002
Does the KDX 50 have a clutch, if so i would think the xr 50 was a better choice.

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
well the kdx 50 is basicly the jr50 from suzuki if i remember corectly and its a 2 stroke with a automatic cluch if my memorie serves me right and the xr50 would be a four stroke 3 colors 2 choose from 2 different brands the kdx and jr are the same thing except plastic colors green versus yellow and the xr 50 is a very good bike because of its reliability

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
The kdx/jr has the lowest seat height of the mini's about 1/2' lower than the pw. it doens't have much power and is not good on trails. It comes with one speed enabled but another lower gear on tap if you do the mod.
The xR is WAY taller, has more torque 3 speed auto clutch. but if you motocross there aren't many places that have a class for the xR. The ama just added a class 4 that caters to the xR.
Another good bike you didn't mention is the KTM OI adventure. It is smaller and low on power like the jr but has a real MX suspension.

For longetivity the XR cannot be beat. Plus it makes a nice pit bike once you make the move to a real racer. I had tons of fun on the kids xR. And there are endless aftermarket goodies for the xR. and a bunch of trackes are adding a 4 stroke 50cc class for the pit dads. tons of fun!

olddirt

Dec 17, 2002
My opinion is that the kdx50 would be much better for a 3 year old because of size and weight. The xr50 is taller and heavier. However, the xr50 would last longer. I would recommend a yamaha pw50. It's a little larger than the kdx and has more power. Plus you can adjust the power via a throttle limiter and a washer in the exhaust. The faster you can get out of training wheels, the better. Work with him on his bicycle. My .03

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I actually went with the PW to teach all 3 of my kids. My 3 year old is riding the PW now. We told him he had to ride the bicycle without training wheels before he could ride the motorcycle. He got the bicycle down and rode the pw without training wheels right away. They after a crash he wanted training wheels. Put them on and that lasted about 2 rides. Now he wants the wheels off again.
i don't really like the training wheels because it makes the kid turn differently than they would without them. But for a little guy its hard for them to hold up the bike without help.

RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
Have had both the JR50 and the XR50R , honestly the JR REALLY lacks power. The XR50 really has my vote.
So, is it really true the JR and the KDX are the same bikes with different colored plastic ?
Raz

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…