KDX choke knob

ridenfun

Apr 4, 2010
Hello All, 2001 kdx 220- On the past few rides the carb vent line will drain gas on occasion. Now the "choke" knob won't stay in the "up" position. Are these problems related? And what should I check first? The bike runs fine otherwise.

Thanks for any help.

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
The gas running out of the vent line sounds lime the float needle
is sticking open as far as the choke knob make sure it isn't
hitting something like fuel line could just be time for a good
cleaning on the inside just take the carb apart and give it
a cleaning with carb cleaner it never hurts to do that
anyway

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
The rubber boot on the choke knob is worn out. You can get replacement parts from the factory. Pricey though. I have seen some on EBay that look like they would work, but they ship from Hong Kong. I've bought other things from sellers there before, and aside from it taking a long time, they were good quality at good prices.

For the dribbly carb, like ACS said, I would clean the carb (specifically the float needle valve and seat), and additionally check the float level height.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Oh, and I forgot, a cable tie around the worn out boot will buy you some time and make the lever stay up when you want it to do so.

ridenfun

Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the input, I'll check for the rubber boot and clean the carb. The local dealer told me I had to buy/replace the whole choke mechanism. It just seemed odd that both problems began about the same time. Thanks again.

By the way: Does the rubber boot physically hold the choke lever in the "up" position?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Yes, there is a little detent in the rubber lip.

Here is the part I was looking at on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KEIH...8579218QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

No idea if that is precisely what you need or not, or the quality, but at that price, I might be willing to gamble. Their other kit that seller has looks interesting as well those parts cross over to our bigger PWK's. That metal idle adjuster looks slick...

If you buy it, and it turns out not to work, be sure and let us know ;)

You could just bodge it as well... I know on my KDX, that choke is never on for more then 30 seconds of running or so anyway... so I could rig up a spring and hook or a cable choke setup and make that work... For now the cable tie is serving me well.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
(for clarification, I meant *if* those parts cross over to our bigger PWK's... no idea how many do or don't.)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…