kdx clicking noise

madmike4x4

Apr 14, 2004
I just bought a 1996 KDX200 in stock form and good condition. I just started it up for the first time after buying it and when it idles, there is a loud clicking noise. When i twist the throttle 1/8 turn and the rpm's go up slightly, this noise goes away. I have been riding for a long time, mostly owning motocross bikes and I have never heard a noise like this. Is it the kick starter? kips system? any info would be great.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
That's pretty normal for a KDX. When you change the tranny oil, put in more than what is recommended (close to a full quart). That should help.

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
from what i understand you can't really "fix" it. kdx's are just like that. Mine does it and runs perfect. I've looked up how to fix it, and people say it's normal.

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
My 90 KDX Makes the infamous KIPS Clatter at idle & slightly above. All my riding buds that have KDX's I've compared & ALL have it to some degree, more or less. :yeehaw:

doesn't putting more oil in risk blowing out the sight glass?
The Transmission is vented. I've overfilled mine & it just leaked out the overflow tube for a couple miles. :joke:

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
I noticed it too. i was curious as to what it was. thanks guys

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Got mine back from EG and it no longer makes the "noise"...makes other noises, but it doesn't sound like it's being lubed with gravel.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
it wont blow the sight glass but it may leak alittle at the clutch shaft. i run a whole quart in mine.

guggie

Mar 3, 2003
When you put a whole quart in do you have to turn the idle up so it won't stall in 1st w/ the clutch in? Because I filled mine from 650 ml, to a quart yesterday an yesterday it wouldent idle in first with the clutch in. Whats wrong w/ my clutch?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…