KDX Crankcase Oil

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I would like to change my crankcase oil today but seeing as how I purchased my 2000 KDX200 used, I never recieved an owners manual and am having troubles finding the specs on how much oil to put back in. So how much and of what weight do I put in?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
1qt of 10-40w motor oil. Make sure it doesn't say energy conserving on the bottle.

-Maurice

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
You should see a window on the right side of the crank case. Fill it up till the oil is between the lines on it. I think it's like .7 liters but many people put the whole quart in to help quiet the clutch. I don't see the point in overfilling it though, the KIPS still makes it sound like a clapped out wasted engine anyways. Since the KDX is a two stroke that oil never touches the engine just the transmission. People run anything from ATF to Synthetic racing oil in it, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference just do what seems good to you and make sure something is in it.

Some oils are bad for the clutch though and I don't can't remember the specific rating that you should stay away from. (m0rie might be able to elaborate on that more)

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Don't use the sight glass as a measuring device. Get a measuring cup at you local bike shop & add 700cc. When first put in it will go above the sight glass. Start the bike up, and let it settle and you will see it will appear in the middle of the glass. You can also use the cup for your pre-mix ratio so your not guessing

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Thanks for the oil link, it was pretty informative. After m0rie suggested 1qt of 10w40 I purchased Castrol Syntech and put the whole thing in. It ran just as it did before the oil change so I see no problems with it. As for the repair manual, I will prolly wait until I get to a point where I truly do need it, at which point I have no problem buying, seeing as how I know its value is gold at that point (right now its just above dirt :) )

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
It's value is more like platinum when you need it and the dealer says it will take a week to order it. Even if you are experienced and don't need the manual much it is worth it for all the torque specs.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
FYI I always ran 1qt of Dexron III ATF in my KDX. I had it for two years and it saw lots of trail riding and a full season of Harescramble racing, did great the entire time, never even needed a clutch:) JF recomend 1qt as well, and he's got a little experence with these bikes.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
bikepilot said:
FYI I always ran 1qt of Dexron III ATF in my KDX.

I use ATF in mine, too. It really helped my clutch work better- no creep anymore. I can sit there in 1st gear, clutch in, and it idles. I like Mobil 1 ATF and go about 500 "recreational miles" between changes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…