kdx front caliper bolts

Mar 10, 2007
Hello all, i was wondering if there is a specific tool to get off the front caliper bolts on my 97 kdx 220. I have an allen wrench that fits it perfectly but i can't seem to budge them. I just want to make sure i'm using the right tool for the job. Should i maybe spray some wd40 around there to try and loosen them up. Thank you

cruel2bu

Mar 27, 2008
Hey you have the right tool.It is easier with the sockets that have the allen bit in them.You will need some penatrating oil to spray on them.They usualy sieze up after awhile if you dont use antisieze on them during assembly.

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
I have heard that you may also want to apply some heat to them as they may have been assembled with red loctite. Good Luck!

cruel2bu

Mar 27, 2008
Did you put the antisieze on them when you put it back together ?
It will help the next go-round.

Mar 10, 2007
A buddy of mine called me last minute to go riding so i just put it back together and didn't bother with the antiseize. I just took it back apart today and had no problems. Any particular kind of antiseize i should use? Thanks

cruel2bu

Mar 27, 2008
I use Saf-T-Eze anti-seize.It is a brush on paste.It does not really matter who makes it just as long as you use some.When water gets in the threads it causet a reaction between the steel and aluminum.If it gets bad enough you could pull threads when you dissassemble it and that ain't no fun.
Glad to see you got your bike fixed and in the dirt.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…