Mar 10, 2007
Hello i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the biggest tire size i could put on the front of my1997 kdx 220 I currently have a dunlop k490 80/100/21. What is the widest i could go? I guess my real question would be would alittle wider help me go through the mud? Also i was wondering what size spark plug socket i need i currently use a regular cresent wrench cause it fits but would rather use the correct tool. Thank you

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
13/16ths spark plug socket, I've never seen anything but a 80/100 front tire on a bike. I have seen 90/100's, but I have never seen one installed. A wider tire won't necessarily help in the mud, it will float on top and you'll slide it everywhere. A narrower tire might sink in a little bit and get some bite. If you want to run in mud, the best thing to do is get mud specific tires. You'll destroy them in short order on hard surfaces, but we live in a world of trade-offs.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
It has been my experience that lower tire pressure does help in mud. But be careful, too low pressure when you get out of the mud will result in damage to tires, rims and spokes when you get to logs, rocks, etc. The world is a compromise. Cheers John

Top Bottom