kdx idles really high

kdxmojave1

Feb 10, 2004
hello, this was my second time taking out my 1986 kdx 200, and this time i could open her up a little. man do i love this bike :eek: !!! one problem through out the day the idle got higher and higher and i kept adjustign the idle screw, but i ran out of turns out. so i stopped the the bike idle extremely high, do you guys know what maybe wrong?

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
have you tried adjusting the throttle calble, maybe it's your cause for the high idle?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
make sure you do not have an air leak somewhere which is making the bike run lean. That can cause a high idle, and much worse things too.

kdxmojave1

Feb 10, 2004
KX02 said:
make sure you do not have an air leak somewhere which is making the bike run lean. That can cause a high idle, and much worse things too.

were should i check for the leaks the intake boots, and were else

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Yeah, the intake boot mostly. I'm not sure if it could also occur around the cylinder. what you could do is let the bike idle and then spray water from a regular spray bottle around the engine. If you notice the idle speed change when you do that it can help you pinpoint where the leak is at. Check the flange area of the reed valve too. Make sure you are adjusting the idle screw and not the air screw too.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Before all that, take off the carb and make sure the slide is sitting in the bottom of the carb when throttle is closed on bars to rule out short cable, as well then you can see if the idle adjust works.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
not much detail to go on, BUT the one time I had a high idle it was because I was running out of gas. If that's not the cause, do what everyone else has recommmended!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…