Andy Leek

Jul 14, 2004
I have just bought an old 80s kdx 200, i am looking for info on bike such as 2 stroke mix oil types etc, i also have a problem in that when i start the bike it revs ok for a minute then the revs go sky high anyone help me cheers

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Quick guess would be a slow fuel line, partially clogged so that the carb gets starved for fuel creating a lean condition, and the high revs....

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
The high revs could also be the floats are not adjusted correctly or something is stuck and not allowing the bowl to fill properly. You need to disassemble/clean/adjust the carb. Also, an air leak in the intake or case can cause a lean condition that causes the revving.

gambell86

Jul 20, 2004
Info for the rev

Andy Leek said:
I have just bought an old 80s kdx 200, i am looking for info on bike such as 2 stroke mix oil types etc, i also have a problem in that when i start the bike it revs ok for a minute then the revs go sky high anyone help me cheers

pketchum

Jun 18, 2002
This sounds like an air leak to me. Suggest that you do a pressure test to find out where. A bike this old may have developed an air leak in the intake or magneto side of the crankshaft.

pketchum

Jun 18, 2002
Jason,

Thanks for not mentioning I'm an old vintage dude compared to most of you. I'm almost 47 and have been riding since before I was 12.

I guess I'll have to update my profile, because I just sold 3 of my 10 bikes, these being Hodaka's. One was a highly modified '73 125 Hodaka Combat Wombat which just sold for $2000. It had all the hop-up tricks done, including grafting on a electronic ignition.

One '72 100 Super Rat which was highly modified, including a new engine (bearings, seals, gaskets, shift kit, bore, piston, rings, you get the idea...) for $1250. The buyer got a good price too and he's an old Hodaka fan from days past. We gotta stick together 'ya know?

The same guy also bought at the same time my '74 125 Hodaka Super Combat for $1400 and he also got all my labor for free too. After cleaning it up, painting the side cases, and basically making sure it looked like a $1000 bike that I was going to bring to Mid-Ohio, I started it. The kickstarter ground horribly. Oh well, this was a spare bike that I bought right out of Austin, TX. Time to split the cases and replace the kick shaft (a well known Hodaka problem brought about by the kickety-kickety-kick method of starting). Well, after a complete engine rebuild minus a new piston & bore job I was done. Brought both to Mid-Ohio to sell for $1500 or obo. None sold, but sold both within 2 days of returning. Now I'm on the HUNT for a pristine late model Penton or KTM. Any Hercules 250GS's around you might know about? This money's a 'burning a hole in my pocket 'fer sure!

Phil Ketchum
Kansas City, MO

Current Stable....................................
'70 Rickman Hodaka (garage queen)
'71 Hodaka ACE 100A (wife's bike needs put back together after engine rebuild and frame painting)
'74 Hodaka Super Combat (my vintage race bike)
'94 KDX 200 (great all purpose trail bike)
'80 KTM 250GS (ISDT Reunion Ride project bike, needs carb/tank cleaned and she should start)
'75 Yamaha RD250 (gave to my new stepson Derek, but need to put a new top end on it this week)
'96 BMW R1100RT (needs nothing, it's a BMW for crying out loud)

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Speakin' of the 70's--that's when I started with a junkyard bought Honda CL100. It was hell in the woods, really! Then had a Suzuki TS185--great bike---21" Akront front rim, occassionally used Bassanni chamber and the great smell of Belray, more often Golden Spectro though. Wasn't into the dirtbike scene. Friends had Kawasaki 175, hopped up Yamaha 125 that kic'd butt and Honda 250 enduros---oh, and also a Bultaco 360 Pursang...you know, with the shifter on the wrong side and that funky 2 down/3 up or some such shift pattern. Almost forgot, the guy with the Bultaco also had a Can Am 175---my brother got it from him---that bike screamed,
but I'm sure my '90 KDX would eat it's lunch!!

pketchum

Jun 18, 2002
Sure, there's always some project that needs addressed on the bikes, but that's half the fun isn't it? Do a google search for Hercules 250GS and see what you find. They're pretty cool looking single purpose ISDT bikes with 6-7 speed transmissions and Sachs powerplants.

Your Dad, should he have kept his Hodaka would be sitting on a veritable gold mine my friend. The Super Rat, although one of the smaller Hodaka's, is the undisputed best seller and MOST WANTED of all the Hodaka's. It was a wheelie machine because of its high horsepower and short wheelbase.

Phil

pketchum

Jun 18, 2002
Don't be too sure about that. The Can-Am was a horespower KING. There's one that races against me and he's up front, or gets the holeshot most races.

Phil

Top Bottom