Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
I read in the KDX tech tips that I can use an '89 KX125 lever on a KDX. Does this still apply for my '98 KDX200? Also, my stock kickstart lever is already worn out. How do I know if the mounting hardware (part that attaches to the shaft) is not worn out as well, that is, if I have to use it with the new KX125 lever I will purchase?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Dude, STAY AWAY from the 89 lever. I payed way too much for one and it was toast in no time. I am still doing my k-lever experiment and have some good results although the guy doing the welding is not making welds hot enough to do a good job.
Here is how a k-lever gets worn.
1. you kick and all the force is put on a very small patch of metal.
2. That metal disforms and rounds allowing your kicker to want to ride upward.
3. You keep kicking and now the mount hole of the lever starts to oval out.
4. You don't stop kicking and eventually the lever gets so far around and riding up that both parts are now useless.
5. You buy a 89 k-lever and it ovals in no time.
6. Purchase a new k-lever assembly and use an old wrench end and weld it according to the pictures provided.
7. force on the little patch of metal is no more.
8. modify the wrench part so it is not as wide as mine and ensure a weld on the inside as well.(that is the part I am having a problem keeping together)http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/attachment.php?attachmentid=4996

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
I bought one of the FRP levers not long ago and so far so good. I hadn't damaged the original knuckle and re-used it. The FRP lever seems pretty beefy from the amount of metal there and it's very compact. The bad side is that it's very compact. Kicking feels different just because the kick is now shorter and closer into the bike. It takes a little getting used to.

Best,
Greg

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Contrary to TexKdx I have used the 89 lever for 3 years now and it still works just like the day I got it. A small but very significant add-on for any KDX which I highly recommend. I don't remember what I paid but it was less than the FRP.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I have had the Fredette lever for a year now and it seems pretty strong. However I miss my stock KDX lever because it was longer and easier to kick. Yeah, I know they're weak but if I had it to do over again I think I'd get another stock kicker. I lost mine somewhere on the trail. The down side to the stock lever is that it only comes as a complete unit, knuckle and all.

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
i'm very happy with the Fredette lever , i'm short so its a little easier for me to kick the bike over with the FRP compared to the long factory one . by the time you buy the kx lever new or used it is not a cheep experience at all , i could buy the FRP alot cheeper .

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
I have been using the FRP lever for a year and actually prefer it's shorter length over the stocker. I am tall and it is less height that I have to lift the boot to kick.

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
I'll probably go with a stock replacement assembly since I know the knuckle is worn as well. RonAyers.com here I come!

Top Bottom