KDX motor age?

AussieRob

Jun 18, 2004
Hey guys, just picked up a 1991 kx125 with a air-cooled kdx 200 motor in it. Don't laugh, this thing is a rocket! One thing I want to know, how can u tell the age of the engine??, as kawasaki started producing these in 1983, any help very much appreciated, Rob. :cool:

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
I am pretty sure your motor is a 89-94 series.first air cooled kdx 200 motor .If your motor look exactly like this you are sure this is a 89-94 motor.but .look the code on the head ex( E-1) E-2 ... and call your kawa dealer so see what year the motor is...or maybe someone here with a 94 service manual can tell you because all year and model codes are written in the back.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/167022/

Last edited:

AussieRob

Jun 18, 2004
thx for the link kdxquebec, but that is a liquid cooled engine, mine has no water cooling, the motor is finned so that air passing over the fins cools it, and the water cooling system has been removed(weight saving). The main reason i ask is that i have a Clymer manual for the engine, which is 1983-88, but the fuel ratios are different for the different year models, i.e 1983=20:1, 1984=30:1 and 1985-on=32:1. I'm not sure what fuel ratio to run, and what effect will running to rich a fuel/oil ratio do to the engine? any suggestions?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The first generation aircooled KDX200 engines were the '83-'85. These have no KIPS valve. There were minor jetting differences and pipe differences on the '83. These were considered a very strong 200cc motor in their day. Good all around power.

The '86-'88 is basically the same engine as the '83-85 but it has an exhaust valve. The '86-'88 can rip, and are noticeably stronger on top than the non-KIPS engines.

I would feel comforatable running 32:1 in any of these engines. BTW, running more oil (say 20:1) is actuall a LEANER mixture, as there is less gasoline taken in by the engine each cycle. FWIW, many people run 40:1 or even 45:1 for trail riding, but 32:1 is generally consdiered a nice safe mix with plenty of oil.

Running rich can cause you to foul spark plugs, as well has to have poor throttle response and lack of power. Running lean can be much worse, causing overheating, etc... Signs of lean running/overheating including pinging, and white or grey spark plugs.

AussieRob

Jun 18, 2004
thanks dave, going by what u said hopefully mine is a 86-88. I appreciate the info on fuels as i have only ever owned 4strokes, but have seen the light, and the power!!!! maybe the kawasaki site would tell me by means of engine #, btw is dx200ae011291.

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
in your clymer manual, look at page 19...

engine serial numbers table.

going by your info, your engine would be from a 1985 model. no KIPS power valve.

sounds like a wicked combination with a far superior suspension and frame setup.

they're not a bad little motor, coming from an '84 model KDX200 'aussie' owner of almost a year now.

cheers.
Rob C.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~rcacic/kdx200

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…