KDX on a Diet?

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Don't know about a 94, but my buddy shed weight on his KDX for racing by eliminating the air box lid, radiator overflow tank, cut down the handlebars (more so for fitting between trees), and getting better suspension. I don't think the weight was as much an issue with the suspension upgraded and dialed in. I don't race or anything though so I'm sure there's more you can do, and others on this board with much more wisdom than myself.

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
Biggest weight reduction is throw out the factory pipe and fit an FMF or ProCurcuit.It will "wake" it up with increase power.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
If your no worries about the $ look into Titanium bolts(mounting for the engine and all you can get for the rest of your components), all Aluminum subframe, bar mounts, triple clamps, sprockets, etc. . Wave Rotors for the brakes, plastic cover for the stator, Alum. for the clutch.

My .02

Phillip

Last edited:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I remember someone once posted to start your bike up then keep taking parts off 'til it quits running, then put the last part you took off back on. That oughta lighten it up!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I dont think you can get an alum sub frame as one arm of the sub frame is welded to the main frame. But I like the "I remember someone once posted to start your bike up then keep taking parts off 'til it quits running, then put the last part you took off back on. That oughta lighten it up! " :) :)

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
The idea of putting Alum. or Ti fastners might sound like a good idea, but in reality it's a really expensive way to save very little weight.

I'd recommend taking off things like your swingarm, stripping the paint. Stripping the paint on the frame, getting a set of Ti springs. Machining the crowns and suspension linkage to save weight. Also drilling bolts and shafts.

I'd also recommend not doing any of these, and simply riding the bike.. Saving weight on the pipe, sure do that :)

Jon!

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
Thanks for all the great info? and the not so great info(but funny). I was
looking to make the bike easier to handle and lift off the ground when my wife lays it over. I'll tell that mprest4 said to lose some weight. She
will like that? If any has some ideas I'd like to hear them.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Usually when people want to take weight off of a bike it is to increase speed and/or handling. I would agree that the best place to do that is on one's own body. BUT if you are trying to make it easy to pick up, I'd recommend looking into different techniques. There are a lot of ways to get good leverage picking up a bike and that's a lot cheaper than saving a few ounces by stripping paint or changing to titanium.

It's great to hear that you have a biking buddy. My wife and I are taking the motorcycle safety class tomorrow. She has ridden on the back of my street bikes, but she has never operated one on her own. I think we'll have fun.

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
ok since it's for your wife...

new pipe and silencer will be the biggest improvement - there is a really big
difference there.

you could also lose the headlight and odometer assembly but they are really very light.

other than that there isn't much you can do.

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
Thanks guys! I'll try to help her find ways to lift the bike. MX175 good luck on getting your wife into riding. Find the right bike it is worth it and be patient! Thanks All Who Helped

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
If it's for your wife, then I'd recommend simply getting a shorter, less powerful bike for her to start on. Something like a TTR125 or XR100.. Something that won't intimidate her at all. Then once she gets used to it, and decides she likes it you can upgrade it to a full size bike. An XR200 is a good starting bike, it's not too big, not too small, and with the right rider on it, it goes pretty well.

Jon!

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
Thanks Jon, She was on a Honda 84' xl 350 and then moved to the KDX so we did move to a lot lighter bike. She is way above your average
female rider. I was wanting to make the bike lighter because her falls usually happen on very steep hills and lifting the bike on a hill with shorter arms can be a problem. I was hoping that bike wt. reduction might help. But the posts I think I might work more on tech. Thanks

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I think new handlebars can save you a little weight. Also, on short rides, don't fill the tank all the way up. You can lose the kickstand (mine doesn't work anyway). That'll save some weight, but it's weight lower on the bike that probably doesn't make it any easier to lift up after a fall.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I had a 94, the best weight savings for the buck would be in order:

1. New Silencer. The old ones are very heavy
2. New pipe. Again, the original pipe is pretty heavy.
3. Remove kickstand, this is over a pound but it's mounted low and so convenient I'd keep it on.
4. Go to an aluminim bar. The stock bar is both heavy AND bends easy.

After than you're gonna start spending a lot to gain a little. Personally, I'd sell it and buy a 95. ;)

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I'm not sure on the height. If they are taller it's not very much to the point I didn't notice at all when I got my 97 (I'm only 5' 9"). The newer models are narrower and a little lighter but just the over feel of the bike is MUCH lighter. Not a huge engine change, just a big chassis upgrade.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Here is the best instructions that I've seen to helpyour wife pick up a motorcycle: http://www.msgroup.org/TIP075.html This is from a safety website and this guy had his wife pick-up a Goldwing. After that a KDX200 has to be a cinch. Technique is everything.

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
Heres what I've done to my kdx so far to shave weight:

Custom made Ti bolts
carbon fibre plastics
removed lights
added mx style fenders
swiss cheesed all plastics
stripped all paint
added fmf pipe/titanium 2 silencer
carbon fibre engine mounts
shaved seat foam
removed grips
removed crossbar
removed odometer
magnesium hubs
titanium rotors
trimmed brake pads a bit
lightest tires i could find
run the lightest fork and shock spings you can find
titanium footpegs
run a lighter weight oil in the tranny
run a lighter weight oil for premix
fill up gas tank 1/2 way
titanium axels
protaper handle bars
carbon fibre airbox
mix gas at about 100:1
put helium in your tubes
use a kx tank
cut away unnecessary parts of the bike
cut an inch of each side of the handle bars
cut your levers as short as you can stand them
use titanium or magnesium levers and perchs
run light weight shock/fork oil
remove a few clutch plates
bore your engine (removes metal from the cylinder)
run light weight clutch springs
run light weight pipe mounting springs
drill holes in the subframe
drill more holes in the rotor, helps with cooling too
buy light weight rims

with all these mods ive saved about 35 lbs off my kdx. the difference is unreal. the total cost was about $12,000. worth every penny.

dont use a skidplate, handgaurds or anything like that, you shouldnt be falling anyway.

one last thing that made a HUGE difference for me was NOT to use any gear except for a helmet. gear is VERY heavy and if you dont fall, which you should be, you dont need it.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…