KDX or 125????

TC21

May 31, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'8.5" 150lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'm around an 8/10

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Fields, friends, woods gravel pits

4) Do you have any riding experience?
4 years on xr80 and xr200

5) Do you think you will race ?
Against friends but not competitively

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
We know a guy

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Craigslist!!!

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
0-1200

10) Do you live in California?
no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I'm not sure if a kdx is good because I might be alittle too tall for it so I'm wondering if a 125 is ok for what I ride in or where I ride?

Thanks alot
:nod:

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
The KDX 200 or 220 would not be too small for you. I am 5'9" and I can touch with the balls of my feet on my KDX200. This would be a great bike for the type of riding you do (woods and fields.) They are more ideal for woods riding than a 125 two stroke because they have a smoother power delivery. They still have the snap of a smoker but its also got good low end and better traction. They also have wider gearing and a wider powerband. Its easier to keep the KDX in the meat of the power than a 125.

Both the KDX and a 125 can easily be found for $1200 or less.

anarchy420

Jun 1, 2007

the kdx 200 is by far the better choice for you. and you can get them for pretty cheap
but good luck finding a 125 for only 1200

TC21

May 31, 2007
I have found many 125's around Washington for 1200 or less. I do anywhere from 3 to 15' jumps so would a KDX handle it suspension wise. How much more power does a 125 have than a kdx200?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
TC21 said:
I do anywhere from 3 to 15' jumps so would a KDX handle it suspension wise. How much more power does a 125 have than a kdx200?
Jumps will be fine- put stiffer fork springs in it if you want. I did 45' tabletops on mine and it was fine, just not great in the whoops at MX speed.

Power: They're totally different. My KDX200 had a Desert pipe and it would pull my '01 KX125 off the bottom and well into the mid-range. The KX was faster on a track because it was lighter, better handling, and could take the rough sections faster. You have to keep the 125 on the pipe, but, if you need to do a wheelie over a log, the KDX is WAY better. It's not about peak power, it's about power spread.

TC21

May 31, 2007
Is keeping it on the pipe mean in the powerband?

Sorry, dumb question but I have never rode a two stroke before.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
TC21 said:
Is keeping it on the pipe mean in the powerband?

Sorry, dumb question but I have never rode a two stroke before.
Yes.

And as for the 15 foot jumps, the KDX can handle it, but not in stock form (without busting your balls that is.) You'd need stiffer springs like NM_KDX200 said.

And as for the power differences, a 125 actually has less overall power than a 200. 125cc < 200cc. But the 125 makes peaky top end power, great for acceleration, not so great for traction. The 200 makes power down low compared to MX two strokes and I think it would be better for you because of this reason. Tons more traction in the woods and still enough top end power to hit big jumps. With the right springs that is.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
In the long run the 125 will make you a more aggressive rider as the power band will not let you be lazy in the corners or any situation where power is given to soft terrain

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…