KDX Questions....

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I am in the market for a used KDX. I called a guy off of this site that had a 94 for sale for $1600 but it got sold yesterday. I just found a 95 model with a recent top end job and new plastics for $1200. What are the differences between the 89-94 and the 95-on KDX's? What are some things I should look for when I go look at a used bike?

Thanks,
Joey

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
chk the just kdx site ....time line i think .it has all the noteworthy changes over the yrs.wht to look for ...some of it's visual,look at the tires-chain-sprockets if low hrs or just replaced is claimed that stuff won't b whipped.overall look of the bike ,bent,cracked ,stuff hanging -taped-wired on lol.bearings-stem,link,s arm,seals -engine or fork leaking.i'm sure i overlooked something.** important**:service history and if they won't let u test ride....leave :) good luck

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
That seems pretty cheap. Installing new plastic is a good way to polish a tird!, if you know what I mean.

Look at the brake calipers, the brake pads, see if the brake pins are frozen. Check the rotors for wear. Check the fork seals for leaks. Check the steering head see if there is grease there. Get the bike off the ground and check the play in the rear linkage bearings, swing arm side to side play and the lower shock bearing -- this a big issue in abused Kawasakis. It is a small bearing and if let go like my bike, I had to replace the bearing and the unitrak link. about $250 dollars later for all new bearings and unitrak link with a chain slider for the swing arm.

Ask lots of questions. When was the top end done? last time you greased the rear end bearings? last time you greased the steering head bearings? Last time the wheel bearings were checked. Expect to at least install new wheel bearings in a used dirt bike and flush the fluids for sure.

If you get BS answers, expect to replace all those parts. I love my bike, but it did take about $200 more to get it into shape than expected cause of the rear unitrak.

rryder1992

Aug 1, 2002
Racerjoey1, the 95 you were looking at may be the one I just bought for $1200. The reason the guy sold it was his wife.It was a great deal.
I know where there is a running 92 for around $900 near Steel AL

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…