sage5323

Jun 19, 2012
Hey,

I have been on friend's bikes and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking to buy a bike. I did a lot of research and the KDX is what I see most recommended. When I look deeper into it, there is a lot of discussion about new models vs older models. I found a KDX 200 near my ranch for $1200... it looks like a '91 (I attached a picture). I wanted to know if $1200 is a fair price and/or should I be looking for a newer model?? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot more as I need to buy gear. I will just be using for mountain trails. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-W-

Attachments

• KDX.jpg
    KDX.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 380

sage5323

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks

Thanks for the input... I felt it was priced high. I am going to take a look at it on Monday and will be doing a hard negotiation to try and get it down to $750, which is closer to your number. The guy told me it's a 94 or 96, but I can't remember which one he said right now... either way still to expensive.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Just remember the old ones have power valve troubles as they valves are made from aluminium and snap. Probably better to try and get a newer model.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
sage5323 said:
Thanks for the input... I felt it was priced high. I am going to take a look at it on Monday and will be doing a hard negotiation to try and get it down to $750, which is closer to your number. The guy told me it's a 94 or 96, but I can't remember which one he said right now... either way still to expensive.

The bike pictured is clearly an 'E' series, which ran from '89 to '94. The '93 and '94 were the only 2 years that had the upside down forks. So based on that and what the seller told you, it's probably a '94.

I agree $1,200 is way too much for the bike, but that one does look clean, well maintained and would be a nice trail bike. Shoot, even $750 might be more than market value, but OTOH, it's hard to find a reliable bike and that one sounds pretty darn perfect for you and what you will be using it for.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
motopsycho87 said:
Just remember the old ones have power valve troubles as they valves are made from aluminium and snap. Probably better to try and get a newer model.

IMO, the power valve problems are found on high mileage, low maintenance bikes where the owner was running the stock jetting (way too rich). Everything can get gummed up and the teeth strip on the rack that opens up the powervalves.

If that's a recent photo, I'd be willing to take a chance on that bike (at the right price), especially if the owner says it has been re-jetted.

Last edited:

sage5323

Jun 19, 2012
Found new one

Thanks for that input. I really appreciate it. I am definitely better prepared to negotiate. I just ran into a friend that is selling his 2006 KDX 200 for $2000... it has 71 miles on it. It has been sitting in his garage for 5 years (his son died shortly after buying it so he is finally ready to sell it). It doesn't start right now, he said it's probably just gunked up since it's been sitting so long... I think I might go with this one since it's 12 years newer than the 94 and I know the history since this is from a friend. Any thoughts?

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
2006, sounds like it's as good as you'll get. However remember the trip meter is only 2 digits so it may have been round a couple of times. Clean the air filter, drain the gas, empty the float bowl, put some fresh gas in it (32:1) and she should fire right up in 3 kicks or less :-)

Top Bottom