McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Pardon me if this is old stuff, but I haven't been able to get on this site lately. I noticed the tech tip that there is an error in the older KDX service manuals concerning the left/right orientation of the KIPS sub valves. Is this really true? I recently overhauled a friends bike and probably put the valves in wrong because a check with my manual confirms it is different from the "correct" version. However, he says the bike runs great. Is the difference worth going back in and changing the sub valves?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I think the sub valves should be put in the correct sides. One sub vlave has the o ring on it, that seals off exhast from entering the right side power valve cover and linkage. Not sure if thats why the o ring is there, but there has been some debate on why it is there.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Newer manuals have the correct orientation so you might be ok. Its worth either checking the manual to see if its correct or pulling the pipe and having a look into the exhaust port to ensure they are properly installed. It will really zap power if they aren't. When you look into the exhaust port both sub port valves should be completely closed. If they are partly opened they've been installed incorrectly.

David

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Canadian Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I already know my manual is wrong as I checked it against the illustration in the tech tips. I bought the manual back when I had a 96 KDX 200, and since the bikes haven't changed, I just keep using it.

I guess I will work on my friends bike this Thursday. If all that has to be done is to pull the head, that's not too big a job. I will look into the exhaust port first, though, since I would probably have to pull the pipe anyway.

Top Bottom