cigarbuf

Apr 22, 2002
I am currently a very satified owner of a '01 KDX220, however, I'm considering adding a KLX300 to my stable for eventual conversion to street legal specs. I do a certain amount of trail riding in California (and soon in Baja), so I'd like a bike that's practical for limited street use to sometimes get me down streets between trails.

I'd appreciate any riding impressions offered on the KLX. Would it be suitable for a five day trip in Baja? Does it have enough power? Gas mileage, whatever.

Thanks

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Not sure about the laws in Cal. But here in the Northeast, most of us KDX'ers have tags. Just need a brake light, small air horn and a mirror.
Now that I think of it, you can't register bikes with certain VIN characters. Am I right?
Dirtbike magazine did a review on a "Thumper KLX340" in July '02.
You should check it out.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I had compared my 1994 KDX (at the time stock suspension & R&B carb mod, pipe and silencer) to a friends 2001 KLX. The KLX had a much better fork, about the same rear suspension and a sleepy power band. Even for tight woods riding I like the KDX better. Now, with MX Tech forks, the KDX kills the KLX and my buddy is thinking about a new bike. If you want a street legal dual sport without the hassles of tagging a dirt bike, I think the choices are currently limited to the Suzuki 400 or Honda 650. I think I would go with the Honda (after you replace some of the heavier parts) especialy if you want to ride Baja.

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Nothing less than an XR400 with a dualsport kit will do.The KLX makes a fun dualsport but for long rides and tough terrain like your talking about it doesn't have enough power and the suspension will tire you out.If you like the power of the KDX220 you will be dissatisfied with the KLX.For a while I had a KLX300 dualsport and some exhaust mods and it wasn't bad but in less than a year I traded it in for the XR400.I'm much happier with the Honda.You may be able to find a green sticker WR400 that would also make a pretty good DS bike.Other choices,DRZ,KTM400/520.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom