KDX200 E1 (1989) Restoration

ADH147

Feb 20, 2007
Hi Guys
I'm a proud owner of this bike, it has served me well! Its time to take off the dust covers and restore my baby. I would like some advice on the pitfalls of having stored my bike for some 5 years now. In particular, steel screws in the alloy casing. What are my options if the thread strips in the casing? and is there a neat trick to avoid it?

Also, before it was stored, the old girl was fairly smoky. She regulary received new rings and other parts but, especially from cold, the classic '2-stroke' cloud could be seen. Would I be correct in thinking the carburation might be out?

I am starting the restoration project in a few months and I'll keep you all up to date with pics etc.
Thanks in advance
Andy

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I've seen very few smokeless two-smokes. Maybe a different mixture, or a different fuel:oil ratio. If bolts strip in the case you can tap and install a heli-coil or some keyed-locking inserts if there is enough material around them. Or do a McGyver and JB weld a stud into the hole and put a nut on the outside :).

To avoid stripping threads I will generally try using a temperature change (heating or cooling) to break the bolts free first, or only turn them out a turn or two and then thread it back in and repeat until the bolt is out. Spray some penetrating oil on there while doing this (break free works well) to help the process.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom