KDX200 Fork Spring Replacement

cbwbte

Feb 23, 2005
Could someone please tell how to replace the fork springs on my 2003 KDX200 or direct me to a web site that explains this? My manual says I need special tools. Will I also need to adjust my oil level? I am going to install a .38 spring instead of the stock .35s. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
cbwbte

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I just did it last weekend with no special tools. Prop up bike on stand, unscew fork caps (they wont lift right off as they are attached to a rod going into fork), compress fork upwards by placing something under tire, springs will rise out of tubes. Pull down on spring, lightly clamp vise grip on rod (dont crush it! be careful) above spring top allowing access to the lock nut on bottom of cap. Loosen that lock nut, spin cap off rod. remove spacer and spring. Re-install new stuff. Pretty easy actually.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok, its actually really easy to do, and you dont need any special tools. First, remove the forks from the clamps. Then remove the top covers. They will still be on the rod that is inside the fork. unscrew them from the rod, and remove the spring. empty all the oil form the fork by pumping it upside down till you feel all the oil is gone from the valves. next, with the fork in the collapsed position, fill it with fork oil. Put a good amount in, and pump it a few times to get the oil in the valves. Now still with the fork collapsed, measure from the top of the oil to the edge of the tube. Stock calls for 4 inches. do this to both forks and make sure the measurements are exactly the same!!! Now you can put the new fork springs in. Use the stock spacers if you bought them from fredette. now, the hard part is getting the ron up past the spring. use like 2 pairs of pliars or something to work it up through the spring. screw the cap back on the rod. Screw the cap back into the tube and your all set.

If you follow the manual, you wont have any problems. Its really easy.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Special tool...........a 7/16" open end wrench works great to hold spring down under nut. Take forks off bike..............much easier this way. You can use a piece of rubber tubing/hose to put on rod to pull back up or hold up. Its really one of the easier mods you can do once you get in there and take it all apart. Go get a large syringe and make yourself a oil measuring device. Cut a length of tubing at 100mm and attach to syringe. Get another piece of plastic or cardboard to make flat surface that would hold syring from falling down into fork tube. Tubing should be 100mm from this flat part. Stick it in there and draw out excess fluid. You know once your sucking air through syringe that your oil level is at whatever length you made your tubing.

Last edited:

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Braahp, are you sure you're supposed to keep the springs in when you take that measurement? Kinda hard to do, almost impossible.

cbwbte

Feb 23, 2005

Thanks for the information.
cbwbte

cbwbte

Feb 23, 2005

Thanks KTM Mike. This is a big help.
cbwbte

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
My bad. I was thinking make sure and have forks tube collapsed and wrote fork springs in. I'm an idiot. :bang:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
cbwbte - let us know how it comes out.

Does anyone have a quick recommendation on fork oil weight while we are on the topic? I am setting up my bike for LIGHTER springs etc. for my son as the bike came with .40 springs. Most everyone here is going heavier...guess I always have to the be oddball! He is 137 lbs without gear, not particularily aggressive of a rider, but developing. Michigan sand whoops is a common riding condition for us to ride in.

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
you could probably use the stock springs with 5wt. oil

you might want to look into a softer shock spring though

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Rebound damping is weak with the stock valves, and will be aggravated by the heavier springs. My son is only 130 lbs also, and is certainly not an aggressive rider, but I think I'm going to try some heavier oil & back off the comp damping to compensate.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I'd recommend 7W. From what I've read around here, most people go with that weight. I actually mixed Amsoil 5W and 10W at 50/50. They didn't have 7W, and I'm a big fan of Amsoil stuff. I've read of alot of people mixing weights around here. Just my .02 worth.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
What I have done so far, is replaced the heavier springs with stock rate - have not messed with oil yet. 7wt is one others have suggested as well. (same goes for the KTMs interestingly enough).

If rebound is indeed weak, and not adjustable, the suggestion for heavier oil, with backed off compression damping seems to make sense. Right now, I think I am going to leave it (oil) as is - the kid has not ridden the bike yet. Once he gest some saddle time in , i can see how it seems to be working and adjust from there.

thanks for the suggestions. I have a good starting point now.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…