mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Did you remove it recently?  When you say it won't engage, what do you mean?  When you kick it, is it actually turning or is the kickstarter loose on the shaft?

There is a ball bearing which sits in between the kickstarter and the shaft and if that guy is missing, it won't turn the shaft...

Just a thought...it happened to me once when I had removed the kickstarter.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
If it's not engaging there is a possiblity one or both of the pawls may be worn. Fairly easy fix. Problem is just looking at them it's hard to tell if they are worn.

Little more info P/N 59051-1224 Gear-Spur
13078-1063 Ratchet

Last edited:

mattyg587

~SPONSOR~
Nov 21, 2002
Just picked up an old KDX to replace my MX bike for some woods riding and found one that only interrmittently engages the kickstarter when you kick it over..the rest of the time it seems like the gear isn'ty engaging. I've read you post and wonder exactly what you mean by saying that you cant tell if the gear is bad by looking at it. Any suggestions?

Matt

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
Mine had the intermittent problem - I stripped it down and washed all of the parts in paraffin then reassembled - no problems since - figured it was just sticking with old oil trapped in the splines.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by mattyg587
I've read you post and wonder exactly what you mean by saying that you cant tell if the gear is bad by looking at it. Any suggestions?

Matt
They may be worn and the gears rounded off and not engaging all the time. It's difficult to tell if they are bad. Chances are if the bike is old and the parts have never been replaced it could very well be your problem

Top Bottom