KDX200 Maintenance Questions

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Thanks to everyone that has responded to my previous questions. I really appreciate the help.

As I said before, I am no mechanic, but I would really like to learn to do this stuff on my own. I have a factory service manual ordered, and I am sure that will clear up some of my questions, but until then . . .

1) Oil changes. The procedure described in the owners manual is pretty simple. Even a Klutz like me should be able to handle it. However, there is no mention of an oil filter. Does the bike not have one? The manual recommends 10w-40 oil. Should I use motorcycle specific oil or is automobile oil OK to use? Any particular brand you would recommend? The maintenance chart in the manual indicates that the oil should be changed at 600 mile intervals, but I read on these forums about guys changing oil every 2-3 rides. How frequently should I change the oil?

2) Air Filter Cleaning. What kind of air filter oil is recommended? Reassembly is described using all purpose grease. Any particular kind?

3) Brake Fluid. I am getting a small amount of fluid leaking from under the cap of the front resevoir. Is this normal? If not, what is the fix?

4) General lubing. Do motorcycles have lube points like cars, that require a grease gun? What do you recommend for general lubrication?

5) Pre-Mix. I am using Yamalube 2-R (recommended by the shop where I bought the bike) mixed at 32:1 (recommended by the manual). Would something else be better?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, and thanks for the help.

Scott

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Scott---I'm afraid you won't get too many responses for general info that can easily be accessed via the search function. FWIW---I change my oil every 2-3 rides and use 10-30 anybrand. As for the filter, clean every couple of rides unless it's super dusty in the woods. I use PJ1 cleaner and lube with MaximFFT---no need for greas if you have a good layer of this on the bead---it dries into a waxy mess! Brake fluid leaking? Check the seal and aluminum housing. The metal is very soft and if nicked you may need to do some gentle smoothing of the mating surface. Can't think of any lubing points per se. Of course you should lube your cables and keep clean and lubed all bearing areas---swingarm, pivot joints, steering stem.....Not to mention, clean your chain with a nylon brush and kerosene after EACH ride, dry with WD40, take a quick spin through the neighborhood to spin it off, then apply good chain lube like PJ1. Last, I run 36:1 Motul or Yamalube(the good stuff, they have different grades)---why 36:1???because it won't hurt anything and it's VERY easy to pour 16 oz. into my jug and add 4.5 gallons gas. No head scratching at the gas pump!!!!! ;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Make sure you use oil that does not have the Energy Conserving label on the bottle, These energy saving oils have additives that may cause clutch slipping and other problems.
I use Mobil1 Synthetic (Why? I dunno) ;)

Airfilter oil - Notoil! Get the kit, comes with oil, grease and cleaner. Good stuff :thumb:

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Tranny oil: I have 100 miles on my bike, and I'm going to change it Friday and see what shakes out. A magnetic drain plug would be a good idea. Make sure you warm the bike up a little before changing.

Brake fluid: make sure the rubber deal inside isn't fouled up somehow and seats good.

Grease: swingarm, linkage, steering head. Take apart and grease all of these girls before many miles. The factory seems to think that too much grease (or even an adequate amount) is not important.

Filter: after you toss the snorkel and lid, go ahead and reoil the filter. Mine looked like they had just hit the high-spots (not to mention that they forgot to tighten the nut that holds it on.... :(

Premix: Bel Ray H1R @ 40:1 after the first tank of 32:1 for break in. Why 40:1? 32:1 yields excessive spooge, and the H1R is full synthetic. They recommend 50 or 60:1, but not me. It's a good midpoint.

Chain: see above.

As far as oils go...I like the Bel Ray stuff. It's a little higher than most, but a few bucks here and there is a good investment and cheap insurance.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Scott, no, the KDX doesn't have an oil filter - only 4 strokes do. Each post above this, when they mention filter they either mean the air filter.

Grease nipples. Nope, not stock, but there have been some posts about installing them in the past.

Tranny oil - change as you feel fit. When I first got the bike, I changed it after every ride, but now it's 2-3 weeks, or longer (dependent on who's been riding the bike, the conditions etc).

Air filter: another vote for Notoil here. Grease: ensure it's not one that's affected by petrol. (notoil kit comes with grease, oil & cleaner as Wibby has previously mentioned ;)).

While you're getting the manual, click the link on the left for Eric Gorr & order his book. Lotsa good stuff in that, too, may help you out :)
Michelle

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
I have an '04 KDX220 and want to grease the swingarm as its been confirmed that the factory doesn't use enough, so before I get started, I would like to know what tools I will need. I have plenty of screwdrivers, sockets, and wrenches, but don't want to get too into it and realize I don't have the right stuff.

Anyone have suggestions or answers?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
40:1 is probably ok for your kdx.

The ratio is determined by the type of engine and its useage. While 40:1 is ok for a woods bike (for example), you might not want to run your 15Krpm screamer 125 track bike at 40:1.

40:1 is richer air/fuel-wise than is 32:1.

re: h1r

My condolences. :(

Mr. gorr has a good deal on bore/replate jobs. :think:

(what does he mean by THAT!?)

heh heh......

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
GJC32, you might want to look into a 6-pt socket for the swingarm nut, along with a beefy breaker bar to turn it with. I couldn't get the thing loose with a 12-pt one, but others here have so maybe it's just me...

Here's another tip...if you have a digital camera, take several pictures (from different angles) of what you are about to work on BEFORE you take it apart. That saved me when I disassembled the front end to lube the steering stem bearings!

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Changed the oil today with Bell Ray Gear Saver. Pretty easy.

I got the No-Toil air filter oil kit, but now I need some solvent to clean the existing oil off of the filter. Oh, well. Another trip to the shop.

I have Eric Gorr's books on order. between that and the shop manual, i should be good to go.

Scott

Top Bottom