KDX200 v.s. yamaha WR250

Hammer_86

Apr 14, 2004
At the risk of getting being beaten since I'm in a KDX room only I am wondering the differences between a KDX and a WR. I am 17 years old 6'4 and 190 lbs. Never owned a bike before. I want a bike for trail riding only. Lookin to spend around 3000. Want something easy to maintain....thats one reason i'm thinkin of the WR since its a four stroke. Any advice appreciated. THNX

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Well the KDX is a 2-stroke and the WR250 (new models) is a 4-strokes (no oil in the gas). The WR has much better front suspension stock but the KDX can be inexpensively made to work quite well for trails and enduro type riding. The WR is a screamer but makes OK down low power ( it does need some gray wire cutting mods and some cam timing changes( in 2003 and older models) The WR may go longer with out major maint but when it does it will cost more (4 strokes have more moving parts) The KDX weighs a little less and the WR will feel even heavier due to the high center of gravity due to valves and such.
The WR is a good bike and I labored over the choice of it and my KDX for a long time. What turned me off on the WR was the problem of starting a hot 4 stroke ( they don’t start well when hot) as they didn’t have the e-start button then.

Oh and I like green better then blue. :joke:

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Get the KDX. Its cheaper and lighter. For $3k, you can probably get a KDX that is only a couple of years old. One thing to keep in mind is that the KDX's have not changed since 1995, so you aren't missing anything by getting an older bike.

I also don't have much confidence in the new high tech 4-strokes yet, but thats just me. Like said before, those 4-strokes are a pain to start when hot.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I ride the forests of Northeren California. A coule of years ago I went riding with a guy who was nice enough to let me ride his 01 WR250 for 2 hours. Very nice bike ! I considered getting one . Cost factor aside , I just could not bring myself to switch over to the dark side (4-stroke).
I got my KDX about a year ago . That bike really trips my trigger ! The truth is in certain technical situations the WR could probably get thru a little easier , but I love the light weight and powerband of my KDX . As far as 2-strokes it is the most perfect of any for my type of riding . I know I got the most fun bike for me ..... hope you do for you !

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
pdiddy said:
One thing to keep in mind is that the KDX's have not changed since 1995, so you aren't missing anything by getting an older bike.

You get that new bike smell :joke:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…