KDX200 vs KDX220 Low end power?

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
I presently ride a KDX200 with low end mods ie torque pipe with ring, RB carb mods, V-Force reeds, little head shave, spark advance. Mostly I ride very tight trails in the mountains, lots of roots & rocks. Because of the port timing on the 220 is there really that much more low end? I seldom get past high midrange before I shift....many days I'll only use 1st thru 3rd....Dave

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I don't know about your modded 200 vs a stock 220, but stock for stock the 220 kills the 200 in lowend, then falls on it's face. I've owned both. The 220 feels like it has an electric motor in it.

The thing to do would be to find someone with a 220 that you could mooch a ride on.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
torque monster's

adam728 said:
I don't know about your modded 200 vs a stock 220, but stock for stock the 220 kills the 200 in lowend, then falls on it's face. I've owned both. The 220 feels like it has an electric motor in it.

The thing to do would be to find someone with a 220 that you could mooch a ride on.

yes, agree with Rockwell, bags of low end, great mid' a little wheezy on the top but you tend to short shift the 220 so it doesn't really matter...very usuable in tight, muddy, well most places going :)

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Two suggestions from a rider who is old and slow, Dave. And yes, I have ridden in the Rockies at high altitude. Easiest to change your gear ratio. At least go to a 12 tooth sprocket in front. Easy and cheap to try. Makes your bike surprisingly better in tight or steep stuff. Then, I you really want to help, add a flywheel weight. You will be amazed at the difference it makes. Chuck Steahy(sp) at Steahy Products has one for the KDX that is ready to be shipped to you for just over $100. Easy to install with good instructions. Questions for me direct [email protected] Cheers John

Top Bottom