dunk

Nov 19, 2001
hey guys,

I'm hoping you guys can help me with my dilemma. I'm looking at purchasing a new KDX200 or RMX250 down here is Oz. Price wise they're pretty close.

I've riden my mates KDX200 '00 model and liked the responsive handling and power delivery etc, but given that the RMX250 is only
a few hundred more I'm leaning towards that bike for a few reasons; a bit more grunt, its slightly taller (I'm 6'3'), its only 3kgs heavier, its narrower, seems like a bigger bike all round.

We mostly do single track woods riding which gets pretty tight so the bigger bike may not neccessarily be the better option.

My mates KDX200 was stock and I felt that it definately need the stnd mods, pipe, airbox, shocks and maybe the jetting cleaned up. Since the RMX has more grunt in stock form, won't that give me more room to move in the future?

What about the reliability of the two ?

I won't have a chance to really test ride an RMX250 so I'm hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.

P.S. - The JustKDX site is excellent, it might just be all the help I need!:)

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I've ridden at least three examples of both and have owned a KDX220. My observations:

Power: The RMX is more powerful everywhere than the KDXs. A stock late model RMX will easily beat even a piped KDX200 or 220. My FMF-piped 35mm carbed KDX220 would get smoked by my brother's RMX in low-end, mid-range and top-end roll-ons every time!

Steering: Nothing outsteers a KDX (or a KLX for that matter) in the tight single track. Kawasaki seems to have hit on a magic formula that allows precise steering without major headshake issues. If your riding is as you describe, this should be the deciding factor right here. The RMX is an OK steerer but the KDX is superb. The RMX can be prone to headshake in certain situations.

Weight: Our measurements compared a piped KDX with a largely stock '00 RMX. The RMX was 7 KGs more without gas but ready to ride. RMXs feel bigger, fatter and heavier to ride too.

Suspension: The RMX gets the nod here. They have a higher quality suspension setup with a greater range of adjustment and are better balanced front to rear than a KDX. The KDX, even for light guys, needs more spring rate up front and responds well to fork revalving.

They are both fantastic bikes for the money but are focused in slightly different areas. It's up to you!

Stevie H.

May 17, 2001
KDX vs RMX

I have owned both models, a modified 97 RMX being my current bike. In my opinion, the KDX is the best value-priced enduro/trail bike you can buy - it's reliable and does most everything well. I hated selling mine. However, even with the popular mods, it's hard-pressed to run with 250s.

The RMX is much more powerful across the board. It runs and rides much more like a
motocrosser than the KDX does. It is taller, slightly heavier and not quite as agile in the tight stuff as the KDX.

For my money, I am happier with the RMX. Like you, I am tall (6-2) and it gives me much
more room to move around, etc. Also, the extra power is a God-send down here in Texas,
where we have lots of wide-open trails that you can tap top gear on. On the KDX I could
never keep up with my mx-mounted friends. Now it's not a problem.

In sum, you can't go wrong with either. You just get a bigger bang for your buck with an RMX.

Top Bottom