KDX200SR -steel liner?

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
I rang the local dealer yesterday asking about getting a new piston and ring set, he told me he had dealth with a kdx200sr before and had a lot of problems getting a piston for it because unlike the KDX200, the SR apparantly has a steel liner as opposed to a plated liner and requires a different piston? True or false? I know theres the possibility it had a liner fitted for an oversized piston but assuming it hadn't, would it originally have been steel or plated?

Thanks!

(i will be ripping into the engine this weekend, just wanted a heads up!)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
the same piston is used in plated or steel sleeved cylinders...

if you look at the wiseco site they spec a sleeve for thier oversizes

Rogerdodger

Jul 4, 2006
motopsycho87 said:
Cool, do you know if the SR comes stock with a liner though?
My Australian model 1989 KDX200F1 (SR equivalent) originally came with a chrome bore. It now has a steel liner as it has been bored out to 240cc.

Cheers

Rogerdodger

Jul 4, 2006
motopsycho87 said:
kinky! what company made the liner / slug combo, and how would you rate it?
I'm not 100% sure who made it, bit I think it's a Wiseco liner. I had the work done by a mob called Serco up in Brisbane back in 1998 who are the Aussie distributor of Wisco pistons. The kit is no longer available here so Kustom Kraft in the USA would be the place to go for a 240 kit if you wanted one.
http://kustom-kraft.com/KAWASAKIKITS.html

I've never had any problems with the 240 kit and the power valves still work OK. However, I don't rev the tits off my bike so that's probably why the big-bore is lasting well! It gives more torque, which suits my riding style. I also have a 35mm PWK carby from the E series KDX fitted rather than the 28mm that came with the bike.

Check out this site about an Aussie KDX200SR fitted with a 240 big bore kit:
http://www.craig.copperleife.com/bikes/kdx/index.htm

Cheers

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
My 250SR was plated but had a 19mm pin, so I changed to a KX conrod and fitted a Gas Gas 300 piston with a bore and replate giving me 285cc.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Jesus!! Hows that running!?

I take you mean the gudgeon pin? Do you know what the normal KDX pin size is? Reckon they could be interchanged somehow?

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
motopsycho87 said:
Jesus!! Hows that running!?

I take you mean the gudgeon pin? Do you know what the normal KDX pin size is? Reckon they could be interchanged somehow?

Runs good, even though the Wossner piston has a side relief that allows the transfer and exh' boost ports to overlap.

18mm pin is standard on KX and KDX250, (19mm on SR 250 only) could have used a bearing to adapt but needed the 5mm shorter KX conrod to have the height right with the Gas Gas piston.

Gotta put a jetski conrod in my IT425 so I can run a 465 piston.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Maybe they should be, but they aren't. Not unless you're talking about chrome plating, which we don't really see in dirt bikes.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Tom68 said:
18mm pin is standard on KX and KDX250, (19mm on SR 250 only) could have used a bearing to adapt but needed the 5mm shorter KX conrod to have the height right with the Gas Gas piston.

so do you know about the kdx200?

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
motopsycho87 said:
so do you know about the kdx200?

No, originally posted to point out that the 250sr was a plated bore and I would think the 200 would have been as well, doesn't mean yours wasn't sleeved by a previous owner, some big bore kits use sleeves.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Ah ok!

Do you know where I can get the measurements relevant to piston selection atall?

EYY

May 22, 2010
If it has the standard 66mm bore and wrist pin size, I'd assume any kdx200 piston from '86 onwards would fit. Didn't the sr's just have different porting and a smaller carb engine wise?

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
It has a plated barrel. If anyone can provide me with a picture of there barrel I can point out the differences with my SR barrel.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…