dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I need to replace my sons bike and I was wondering if going to a KDX220 over any 250 would be best. My son is 15 years old and heavy (280lbs.) and slower when it comes to riding. He had an XR100 when younger and he liked the slow speed tractor like ride of the 100, but at 13 I purchased one of the 2002 CR125 Plano AMA Team bikes. He never really got the hang of that bike and I don’t believe he every got the thing over 4th gear. We ride in the high deserts and woods/mountain trails of CA, and the race 125 just didn’t cut it. He’s ridden our friends KLX300 and he like it a lot. Tractor like pull, slower bike, and it sits lower than most. I sold the CR125 and now it’s time to get him on something else and I’m wondering if the KDX220 would be a good option or if I should go right to a 250. Last year I had Eric Gorr build me a YZ265 and he road that bike, liked the feel, but never road it with confidence (road it just in open areas). I’m now building a GasGas300 and I know he’ll be able to ride it, but not really control it like he should. Up to this point he has been very uncomfortable riding tight trails and I’m thinking the 220 would be an all around bike he could have fun on and actually begin to enjoy the tight rocky stuff.

I’d like to keep all our bikes 2-stroke and I’ve been eying a Husqvarna WR250 (red-sticker, drawback), but a KDX220 would be lower cost to purchase and maintain.

Thanks for any input.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom