KDX220 won't Idle!

offroad2002

Sep 5, 2002
My KDX220 won't idle. I have a FMF pipe with the air box cover removed and reeds. My jetting is a 145 main and a 42 pilot with a stock needle and the clip in the third position. I have the Idle adjusted all the way in but the air screw has to be four turns out just to bearly idle. Does this mean I need a leener pilot?
-Wayne

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Here is what I am running at 5000 ft elevation: 140 main 35 pilot AS 1.5 turns out. Idle screw 3 to 4 turns out. Needle stock on top (leanest) setting. I have a thread showing my plug coloring somewhere on the board here, look at it for a compairison. If I were you, I would start by dropping the pilot to 38, the needle clip to second down from top, check float level adjustment. Drain and fill bike with known fresh fuel and oil at 40:1, bad fuel will show up some weird problems and one of the reasons I run race gas...consistancy. Check your arrester for any blockage. If the exaust has any restriction, it could cause bad idling. Check chock circuit and lever. Try adjusting choke while attempting to idle. If it gets worse with the choke, then the bike is too rich to begin with, if partial choke helps, it is too lean. Install a fresh spark plug. Check CDI for good spark. These tips are a start. I'm sure others may have suggestions as well. Good Luck and keep us informed with what you discover.
P.S. My bike is also a 220 with the same mods as yours.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
The main jet is in play a tiny bit even at idle, so drop the needle one clip position which means raising the clip.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…