KDx250s, facts opinions needed

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
How good are these bikes for mostly woods riding? Some desert playing?

How many speeds is the gearbox? 4?

Do they have a lighting stator? Looks like they have a generator to run some lights.

How is the motor, suspension, braking, reliability? What all carries over to the normal KX bikes of the year?

Sorry about the questions, but there has been a few 94 KDX250s for sale and price is really reasonable for them. If they are decent bike, would it be worth 2k or is going to be a can of worms?

Thanks for your time and replies!

matt

Last edited:

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
Hey Matt!
I have a '91 250 & a '98 200 KDX
I love the 250. Its heavier, but has more-low end.
It doesnt handle as well as the 200, but I learned how to use its extra lowend around turns & tight spots. the 250 is faster to 5th, but the 200 blowes it away in 6th. (no 6th gear is my only complaint)
The 200 jumps better, overall, but the 250 has better front forks (inverted)
hope this helps

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
i tend to disagree. the 250 with some sprocket changes can easily keep up in 5th gear with a 200 in 6th gear! it is a little bit heavier but with the low end grunt it isn't bad. There is lots of power to be found in the engine and first thing to do is buy a pipe and silencer. It does hae beter forks and i KNOW it can handle the desert well as all i ride in is sand. with some heavier fork springs it can jump very well. all in all this bike is fairly good if you are looking for low end grunt for the woods and changing the sprockets will give it more top end along with a new PC pipe and it will have plenty of top end.

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
yeah....., I just added a 15t front sprockett to my 250-It replaced a 13t-
------much better topend, but the 200 powerband seems to extend just a little more in 6th w/ a new fatty pipe & reeds.

I love climbing hills in the 250 w/ new sprockett.

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
The 250 has potential to be a great bike. It just needs a few mods to get it there. It's the most reliable bike I've ever owned. ;)

Inthewoods

Apr 1, 2002
I ride a KDX 250, I have done some mods:

1. Shaved head
2. FMF Gold series FATTY
3. Removed air box lid
4. FMF silencer
5. Port & Polish

This bike hauls ass as I am able to blow the helmets off of KX 250's.
If I was the the one spending 2k I'd be nuying the kdx 250!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I am still looking and debating on what to do. I know that I have to sell my XR600 still. But I came off a CR250 before that, 1987 model and loved that offroad. I thought that the 600 would be it, but I keep riding in thicker and tighter woods here locally so I need something quicker and lighter than the baja bike.

Looks like a found a nice kdx250 for under $1800. Lots of new parts -- pipe, silencer, KX head that is P&P, kickstarter, throttle springs and a few others. It needs new fork seals and a few plastic guards to make the bike complete.

Where is the best place online to get replacement OEM Kawasaki parts like fenders, plastics and fork sliders? I cannot figure if buykawasaki.com has a order site like Service honda.

Thanks again for the replies!

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom