bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
I recently purchased my first KDX. I'm getting to know the bike mechanically this winter before I hit the trails with it. One of my first 'to do' items was to disassemble the carb and take notes of the jetting that the previous owner was using.

One of the four screws that holds the float bowl to the body is stripped. The screw doesn't fall out but the other three screws are really all that is keeping the bowl on tight. There is no leaks present and the bike runs well.

What would be a good remedy for this one stripped screw hole?
A. Ignore it and let 3 do the job of 4
B. helicoil
C. mash in something like aluminum foil to give the screw threads some more material to grab on to.
D. your idea

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
find a slightly larger machine screw and buy a tap that matches the new screw and make threads for it paint that screw red along with a red mark by the hole it goes into so you dont mess up the other "good" holes....

maybee a standard size #8 or smaller like a #6 on fine thread

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Harbor freight might have some low but adequate quality ones. It might be tough finding one that small that is on the shelf.

You might have luck finding a self tapping screw, but that might tear things up with a lot of in and out and make the problem worse after a few dissembles.

Ebay is a decent place to find odd sized taps and heli coils as well, but I have never seen a helicoil that small.

If it goes badly, I get dibs on your slide. Mine wore through the chrome and I am waiting for somebody to part one out... ;)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
napa has always been a good place for stuff like that for me at least just call them and they can order it if they don't have it already, but I would fine the screw first then the tap

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
They have the screws at most decent hardware stores, though maybe not always in stainless. I forget the size, but that's where I got replacements for mine.

And on that note, I got stainless, but I would avoid it. It strips the head a lot easier.

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
I found a much easier solution...I bought a longer screw that would go through the float bowl and extend above the top side of the carb body. Then I'll put a nut on the top side. TA DA!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
sr5bidder said:
good one ...why didn't I think of that?
Over thinking a solution is pretty common. Sometimes ya' just have to sit back and look at the problem before you and go "What would be easy and work?"

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
I found that the original screw only went so far up into the threads on the carb body. There is still a milimeter or so of threads that aren't stripped and the longer screw was able to latch onto them. I don't even need the nut but I'll use it for safety anyways.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom