dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
Help!!! Anyone!!! Please!!!

I rotated the throttle shaft in my '00 WR400F far enough to remove the slide and it stuck in the slide open position. I can't get it to close the slide.

I have a vague memory of someone warning me not to turn it to far or the TPS will break. Is that what I did? What do I do to correct it?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
Keihin Katastrophe

DBD, any chance it's just the needle out of the main jet/guide? 1 of the slide rollers comes off very easily, did it fall and get jammed? If I remember correctly it is possible to overextend the throttle shaft to where the arm disenguages the slide. If it is the tps, note CAREFULLY the adjustment position,remove it,see how everything works. good luck

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
Jonny426,
Thanks for the response.

I removed the needle and slid the slide into the body so I'm sure nothing attached to the slide is holding it from correctly moving. The problem is with the throttle shaft or something attached to it. It is stuck between 90 - 100% open. It will move freely from 90 to 100% and back, but won't drop toward closed.

I feel dumb.

Jerry

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
keihin

I hate to say it but I think you may have just bought a new tps. If the paint is still on the screws you can remove it and see if things free up,or scribe an indicator mark & take it off. sorry...

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
kiehin

Clearer thinking in the light of day has produced a much happier scenario: you may have simply disenguaged the tps. I am fairly sure it is spring loaded, so if the throttle shaft is pulled sideways a bit the tps could snap to it's idle position,while your shaft is still at or near wide open. That would hold it very close to open if merely slid back in& reassembled. You still need to take the tps off but hopefully it's intact.

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
jny426,

Through no fault of my own, I stumbled into the solution. Hiding under the cable wheel on the end of the throttle shaft is a spring loaded stop. It apparently holds the shaft in the open position while you install/remove the slide. I simply displaced it from the notch with an O-ring Tool. The shaft rotated into the closed position. I repeated the action two more times while installing the slide. It seems to be designed for that purpose.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
killerkiehin

Now that's the kind of fix we all look forward to-cheap+ simple. While you have things sort of apart, consider checking the tps adj.,+pump cam adj.. I haven't gotten to the sensor but my pump cam was way off... late accel pump fuel squirt...with the idle speed set to where you want it, the spray should just clear the slide when you crack the throttle. You should get fuel,but not so soon as to spray against the throttle plate. As I said mine was WAY late-contributing to the cough&die/low speed stall syndrome. Good luck,good riding,Dirtweek '02 maybe?

Top Bottom