kick starter slips when kicking

tclark2020

Sep 24, 2002
We just got done working on my buddies "new" 1990 KDX200 putting in an oil seal in the water pump and a new kick start idle gear. Occasionally before when you kicked it would not catch any gears (about tears your leg off). The idler gear had a bad tooth on it so we replaced it and much to our dismay, it still does the same thing. Seems to only do it about every 10th kick or so. Thanks for any help. The kick gear is in good shape. Travis

tclark2020

Sep 24, 2002
We are going to tear into it tomorrow and check that if the oil isn't the problem.... Can anyone tell what the ratchet gear does and could that possibly be the problem??? Hadn't checked any of the shaft yet. Thanks for the help so far.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
I'll bet anything it's just an oil viscosity issue plus technique, not the ratchet gear.

If you go to a thinner oil (Type F ATF is thin) and adjust your kicking technique you should find that it's no longer a problem, or a much rarer one.

Before you swing the lever through with full force, put gentle pressure on it so that you find engagement and can feel the resistance. If necessary, back off and try again to get good engagement near the top of the stroke. Then swing it through fast.

If you just jab at the lever like you can with other bikes, you'll often miss engagement altogether and nearly break your foot in half when you slam into the footpeg. You'll get the hang of this technique pretty quickly and not have to think about it too much.

tclark2020

Sep 24, 2002
I agree, my buddy has the worst technique for kickstarting. He couldn't even get his '82 yamaha yz 490 started because of his technique. Finally talked him into selling it and buying this real bike (that I still have to work on!!). I have no problem with my '88 kdx200, and I run ATF fluid in it, works perfect. We are going to change oil in it tomorrow. I went out and kicked it a few times today and it is getting cold out (45 here in south central Iowa) and it slipped way more than yesterday when it was still quite a bit warmer. I will let you know tomorrow how we come out. I want to start it to ride it because mine is down til tues waiting for a new flywheel (which they don't give away!!!).

donh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 20, 2002
I got an 88 kdx that has the same kickstarter problem. I was told to open it up and look over the splines on the kickstarter lever. If their damaged that could cause it to slip.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom