kickstand spring * how to install* ???

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
How the heck do you get that darn spring on. :|
The OEM is pretty strong so how do you stretch it far enough to get on the pins>??
Thanks
BucKat

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
Its fun! Riiiighhhtt. I use a pair of Channel Lock brand slip joint pliers, about a 14 - 18 inch size. Grip just enough spring end as to not interfere with the part the pin will hook through. Squeeze and pull. Its not fun, and its not easy, but it can be done.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I built a special tool just for this app;ication. It's a 6" long 1/4-20 screw eye that goes through a 1/4" hole drilled in the flat bottom of the kickstand. The eye is connected to the spring end with a small loop of 1/16" cable, then the nut on the eye is tightened until the spring aligns with the boss on the kickstand & snaps into place. Way easier than fighting it with vice grips. If you don't want to drill the hole you could use a small metal bar 1"x1/4" x2" with a 1/4"hole, then attach this to the kickstand bottom with a vice grip.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Brute force method: With the kickstand duct taped in the retracted position and a friend to hold the bike up, take a three foot piece of high tensile strength nylon string an tie the ends together to make a loop. Double the loop back on itself 3 or 4 times and put the end of the loop over the end of the spring. Use a short piece of pipe as a handle on the other end of the loop. Lay on the garage floor and using your legs to brace against the frame pull like h*ll. Do I need to say be careful not to let the spring slip off the pin while you are doing this? If it looks like it might, ease up and reposition (wear safety goggles). Once it's on, use a knife to slice the strings and then pull out the fragments mashed under the pin.

Last edited:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Well,,,,brute strenght it is then...I just hope my slim buck seventy is enough to do the trick.
thanks and I'll let everyone know how it worked ( or not ) out.
BucKat

Mar 17, 2000
I used a big (foot and a half long) screwdriver. I just hooked the spring on the bottom post, hooked the top side of the spring on the screwdriver about an inch from the tip, and place the tip of the screwdirver on the top post. Using the screwdriver as a lever, I lifted up (strecthing the spring), and the spring slid down the driver onto the post. Definitely wear glasses. :cool:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Taadaaa!!! It's on...And the winner is,,,,,,,,The 12" long screwdriver method...

Oh sure!! I can change the timming, rebuild the complete engine,strip/rebuild/setup the suspension and even design my own tools to make all these little tasks easier,,,,,,,,,,,but figure out how to get a spring on,,,,,doh!!!! :D

Thanks a bunch mates. Good heads up on the safety glasses. No sense in getting things working if ya can't see after the fact.
Later.
BucKat.!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom