Kickstart cracked my case side cover

Dorkmeat

Jan 31, 2002
Have you seen this before? Kinda bites! Is this side cover easy to replace? I want to fix it right but silicone is sure a tempting easy fix. Please advise. Thanks in advance, Tom

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
I've seen all kinds of cracks, dings and holes in cases. And yes, it does bite.What kind of crack is it ? I've fixed them with JB Weld and by welding. If you describe the damage I should be able to give you better idea of what's involved. I really wouldn't go with "sillycone" because where oil is involved it always seems to spring leaks.

Dorkmeat

Jan 31, 2002
The crack is located by the Kickstarter. Somehow when I kicked it over the kickstarter wasn't turned out all the way and the knuckel of the kickstarter where it is clamped on the splined shaft slightly cracked this side cover. I'll post pictures tommorow. Thanks

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
IMHO - the best way to fix a crack in the side cover is to remove the cover and weld it (GTAW). If you are not a welder take it to a weld shop that does GTAW (TIG). One note of caution. I did have a side case welded once and the guy slightly warped the side cover.

If your crack does not leak (sorry i had to laugh as i typed that) it does not mean that it is ok. A crack will continue to propogate over time. Eventually your crack may turn into a chunk of missing side case.

my $.02

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Hey Dorkmeat, The same thing happened to me at DW01 last year. Just kicked it over and heard a loud GRRR noise from the cluthc. Somehow like you I punched a dime size hole inthe cover right behind kickstarter knuckle and it piece went into the clutch assy. Luckily Dave shut it down before it did any harm. The only thing I could come up with is a rock or something was lodged in bewtween and when he went to kick it over punched right thru the case. I was lucky, the clutch cover was toast and I replaced it. The right side engine cover still has a small crack that doesnt go all the way thru and doenst leak so I left it alone.

If the crack dont leak. Go with it but keep a close eye on it because it may continue to crack and leak all your fluid out on ya. To be safe I would replace rather than weld the pices unless you or someone you know is REAL GOOD with a welder.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom