Kickstart lever fubar'd

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
So after doing some reading and searching on this site I have found out that I am not the only one who has a wore out kickstart lever. It's been used enough that it doesn't stick straight out but back and causes the foot to slip off sometimes. What can I do to fix this? Will a kick lever off of a KX work? What about any other bikes? Aftermarket alternatives??

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Fredette racing sells a shorty lever. I believe you could put a dot of weld on the contact point and grind/file it to the right shape. My 2003 is already getting very worn out, which is bad, because I bought the bike brand new a year an a half ago.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I welded my stock lever up and ground it to perfection. Not too big of deal. That was several years ago and it is still fine.

GS

Jun 29, 2003
KelvinKDX...I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind sharing your successful repair/improvement...
Hard-faced weld?
Did you simply build-up the obvious worn "point", that allows the kick lever to over-rotate?
Any helpful hints would be appreciated. I like the length and all, but mine has become just a bit of a b*tch :pissed:

Thanks!
Greg

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
GS, I did that on mine a few years back - as you said just build up the worn bit and then file a smooth face back to allow it to engage.

mine was fine for a couple of years, but by then the hole in the kicker had elongated to the point wher more welding was impossible - i just bit the bullet and got a brand new OEM assembly.

Andrew

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
thanks for the replies guys. I had thought about jsut putting some weld down and grinding it smooth was jsut curious if there was another alternative tho. Im guessing one from a kx or somethign wont work?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…