Kickstart Lever

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
How does everyone feel about the Fredrette kickstart lever as opposed to the stock '89 KX125 lever. The stock unit on my KDX is getting pretty sloppy, and I would like to replace it with a more compact lever. I am 240 lbs., so the aluminum construction of the Fredrette piece is a little concerning to me. Thanks in advance for the imput. :D
Collin

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I tried a fredette lever but had to return it. The lever did not fit. I am in the process of ordering alver of a89 KX

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
You have of course wound in the preload of the spring/ball-bearing in the knuckle to make the lever less prone to flopping out?

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I have the same question as ckattner. What kick start lever should I purchase? I went to ride tonight and on the first kick the lever broke. What options are there other than the FRP lever and OEM. Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As per Mr. Trustrum:

Do make sure the allen in the lever is adjusted in as best you can. Of course, the spring is junk, and probably has all the characteristic of a spring that a block of wood has...and the o-rings have long sense disappeared...and the knuckle is likely worn out..and the lever itself is probably bent, not to mention nice and smooth on the kick end. But tightening the allen will help.

You can cut off a piece of pepsi can (MGD will do) and use it as shim material around the knuckle. That will help for awhile. Replacing the o-rings will help the slop, too. Will help the rattle against the tank (or your rev pipe if you use one).

The clip holding the whole thing ON is as good a material as what the spring is made of. Replace it with a decent hunk-o-wire.

bultaco250

Feb 3, 2002
Concerning the KX125 lever modification. I'm only about 5'-9", 150 lb. and find the stock lever clumsy, besides mine being bent by the previous owner. Is the '89 Kx125 lever the only year that works or is it just what someone tried and found to fit? Anyone know if the same lever is used on any other year KX125? I plan on checking with some salvage yards and having more than one specific year would be helpful.
Thanks

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
I guess I messed up with my terminology. The fit is pretty good, but the lever is starting to bend backwards, and that causes my foot to slide off of the side alot. It's extremely aggrevating, and it is starting to really wear out the inside edge of my boot. I also have the same question as bultaco250. Is the KX lever '89 specific, or will other years work. Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.
Collin

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
You can get a brand new unit from your local Kaw. shop for around $75. Pretty rediculous if you ask me. That is why I have my questions about the FRP unit, and if the KX lever is '89 specific for shopping at salvage yards. Keep the replies coming.
Collin

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
ckattner,
$75 sounds about right for the 89 lever. I paid about that much for mine back in 97. This was the year of lever that FRP recomended to me and it might be that it is the model that will adapt to the kdx's knuckle. --Dan

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
... but the lever is starting to bend backwards

Sure this isn't a knuckle issue? The 'stop' on the knuckle being buggered will make the lever (any lever) go back too far..might LOOK bent. In which case, changing the lever to <whatever> isn't going to accomplish anything.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…