Kickstarter Slip, KDX200

usrmane

Spammer
Oct 6, 2008
Just picked up my first bike in many many years and got a 94 KDX for a good price. The only thing wrong is the kickshifter slips, well more like I need to crank it slowly until a certain spot and then it will catch and kick. Before I pop off the engine cover I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before? If any might know what is going on? And if it's an easy fix. It will start just fine when I move it into a certain spot. The guy before me said it was that way when he got it 3 years ago and the guy before him for 5 before. Guess it's not a huge deal, but if it's an easy fix I'd like to get it right. Thanks.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Read once on this forum that too hevy an oil can cause this, can't confirm that. Kicked over an IT465 this morning, broke the clutch case and the RH crankcase through the engine number, that sucks.

Mar 18, 2006
there might be burrs on the kickstart gears preventing positive engagement in certain spots. These can be caused by ratcheting the kickstarter up, and then lifting some more just before kicking, instead of just kicking down. It happened to my son's 200xc. I fixed it with emery cloth and some careful, slow work. The burrs were tiny, but caused a slip.

Mar 18, 2006
And you should really get in there and look at that, or Tom68's unfortunate occurence could happen to you. Bummer on the IT!

usrmane

Spammer
Oct 6, 2008
Thanks...

What's the proper weight, might drain and check it out this weekend and replace the oil.

I'll check for burrs, it sounds like you had the exact same problem I am... there are a few certain spots where it will engage.

Mar 18, 2006
Just get some decent 10w30 or 10w40 oil and put in what it says on the cases by the filler hole. You'll probably want to give it a couple of quick changes to clean it up a little in there. Then maybe buy some gear oil made specifically for wet clutches (available in many places as "4-stroke motorcycle oil"). People get carried away on gearbox oil sometimes. Just don't buy the cheapest, and change it often.

Be VERY careful taking off the clutch cover, so that you don't ruin the gasket. You might want to check on the availability of those gaskets before disassembly.

Buy a manual. Try repairmanual.com. I bought a couple there and they were really, really good about it.

Good luck

lumpy39us

Dec 21, 2007
open er up

I had the same problem on my 1990 kdx. The kick gear was worn badly. When I open the case and wiggled the gear it was so bad it would wiggle off of the gears, result, shin to footpeg. Replace the kick spring while your in there.
Since I replaced the gear and spring, first kick everytime.

usrmane

Spammer
Oct 6, 2008
Pretty easy fix then? You get the replacement part from your local dealer?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…