gdragon

Dec 17, 2005
Just picked up a 93 KDX200. I'm selling my Banshee and this is my first dirt bike ever. Problem with it is the kickstarter slips like crazy. The guy I bought it from had all kinds of voodoo to make it work (move starter slowly, lean bike over on left side, move it around in gear.)

I have the oil drained out of it. I'd like to know if I should pull the clutch cover off and check things out or should I just throw in some fresh 10W-30 and see if that fixes it up?
thanks

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
. I would remove your right engine cover and pull the starter spring and starter assembly and see what you have. Because he was leaning the bike to the left and moving it all around I suspect a broken starter spring. The other possibility could be the teeth where the starter ratchet and the starter
gear interface may be worn or broken. Easy fix either way.

gdragon

Dec 17, 2005
Thanks for all the help. Tried the oil change which helped a tiny bit. Got everything apart. I'm assuming everybody means the little $.02 looking spring that engages the two ratcheting parts and not the substantial, beefy kick return spring, right?

The one I want is that little one (#4 on p 5-13 of the Kawi manual) from what I can tell.

I'll let you all know if that does it.

gdragon

Dec 17, 2005
Upon closer inspection, it looks like Ridejunky got it. The teeth are quite rounded off.

We're going to try to grind them back to a 90 degree angle since there's nothing to lose by trying it. Otherwise it looks like it's about $120 for 2 new gears.

That is, unless, anybody here knows where I can find a used set for less?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom